LegacyGT.com

Anyone tried an HID kit for 9006 fogs (08-09)?

RabidWombat

Has anyone tried installing a 35W ddm HID kit into a 2008-2009 Legacy? I'm thinking of upgrading and I was curious how plug and play it is.

Anyone know if the bulb mounting requires modification? Or how difficult the install is?

I've seen plenty of threads on HIDs for H3 legacies, but no significant discuss for the 9006 based fogs.

Thanks in advance.

It's fairly straight forward. It's the same as installing the h3's for the previous years (I.e. removing the bumper to get to the fogs). Everything just plugs right up with no modifications.

How much of an improvement was it over stock fog lights?

How much of an improvement was it over stock fog lights?

On a foggy day it's actually a lot better but any other time you can't really notice them on.

I went with 3000K instead of a whiter look because I wanted something that would actually cut through the fog.

Too bad I don't know how to re-aim them. Maybe I'm gonna get some yellow fogs again. I had some Nokya 3k bulbs, then some Piaa Plasma Yellow, right now 8k HIDs. Maybe I should get some 3k HIDs, cos I see the yellow from my seat :rolleyes:

So I installed a 3000K 35W Apexcone V2 set into my fogs this weekend.

Installation wasn't too bad, the kit was completely plug and play. The hardest part is figuring out where to put the ballasts. The Apexcone ballasts are pretty huge, making them rather difficult to fit. I eventually decided to use some 3M mounting tape and stick them directly to the top of the fog light housing. If you can figure how to remove the front bumper cover (I couldn't), the best place to mount them is the back or underside of the bumper beam. The DDM slims might be a better bet for a 35W system, because they'd be easier to fit.

When I first turned on the fogs, I was not impressed by the color. There's still a significant amount blue, giving the lights a yellowish-green tinge. When I tried the lights last night I was SHOCKED how much more light they put out. They completely light up the road. I'm a bit concerned about glare and aiming, but I need someone to help me judge how bad it is.

There's no reason to use a relay for a 35W system. The stock fog lights are 55W, so the stock wiring is sufficient to handle the momentary start-up surge current (~6A ~ 75W). The housings should be able to handle the heat load of a 55W system, given that HIDs are more efficient. I would recommend getting a relay for a 55W HID install.

The HIDs take about 20 seconds to warm-up, which isn't an issue for me because I only use them in poor weather and don't turn them on/off rapidly.

I had originally thought the stock fogs were 35W, if I'd known they were 55W I would've gone with a HIR2 to 9006 conversion. I would recommend people try that route before going to the hassle of a HID kit. After seeing an HID, I'd say the best option is probably a 55W HID + Lamin-X yellow overlays to fix the color.

Wombat, check out Windy Road's postings in this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/best-hid-kit-under-150i-141923.html?t=141923&highlight=yellow+hid

Start on page 2, post 10. Then look at the photos he put up on page 3: both the DDM as well as the 3000K bulbs from Diode Dynamics.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Wombat, check out Windy Road's postings in this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/best-hid-kit-under-150i-141923.html?t=141923&highlight=yellow+hid

Start on page 2, post 10. Then look at the photos he put up on page 3: both the DDM as well as the 3000K bulbs from Diode Dynamics.

Wow, that's a really good thread! Those pictures totally match my current lights. Now the question is if I want to spend the money for better bulbs...Given how frequently I use my fogs, I'm thinking I'll just live with sickly green.

i still dont think HID's without projectors is worth it.

Having tried it, I'm tempted to agree. I need to tweak the aiming due to a lot of glare that could be dangerous to other drivers. If re-aiming fixes it I'll be happy.

Having said that, I think HIR2 bulbs are probably a better solution for those of us with 08-09 Legacies.

I heard that 55w with the LaminX is a bad combo and would definitely melt. 35w + the LaminX is a good bet. Look at Windyroad's fogs to see it.

I have the 55w DDM 3k kit with the LaminX overlays and I haven't experienced any melting at all.

Not the greatest pic because of the glare but the LaminX definitely helped with the color correction so they actually are a deep yellow instead of greenish-yellow.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/300zx2g35/Subaru%20Legacy/Headlights/SAM_0153.jpg

Just washed it today and double checked and no cracks or anything like that.

Does it really burn through the fog or shined straight back into your eyes? Mine shines right back to me in the fog. I ask this because we have the most useless fog lamps ever being that its not a projector type. Also are you using a harness on yours?

Does it really burn through the fog or shined straight back into your eyes? Mine shines right back to me in the fog. I ask this because we have the most useless fog lamps ever being that its not a projector type. Also are you using a harness on yours?

I originally started with 5K bulbs and no Lamin-X with them aimed how they came from the factory and that shined right back into my eyes the first time I used them in fog. Ended up putting stock bulbs back in the next day and ordering the 3K bulbs.

Since I switched to the 3K bulbs with Lamin-X (didn't have a chance to try without) I don't have a problem with them shining back at me and they cut through thick fog pretty decently. Actually I had to aim them up a bit to make them more useful with the new setup.

Since I'm running 55w I used a harness and honestly only because the current draw on intial startup is higher than that of a 35w kit. If I had gotten the 35w kit, I wouldn't have used a harness because at startup it doesn't draw much more than a standard halogen.

I originally started with 5K bulbs and no Lamin-X with them aimed how they came from the factory and that shined right back into my eyes the first time I used them in fog. Ended up putting stock bulbs back in the next day and ordering the 3K bulbs.

Since I switched to the 3K bulbs with Lamin-X (didn't have a chance to try without) I don't have a problem with them shining back at me and they cut through thick fog pretty decently. Actually I had to aim them up a bit to make them more useful with the new setup.

Since I'm running 55w I used a harness and honestly only because the current draw on intial startup is higher than that of a 35w kit. If I had gotten the 35w kit, I wouldn't have used a harness because at startup it doesn't draw much more than a standard halogen.

How do you aim your fogs I've never been able to figure it out?

Archived