LegacyGT.com

Finished My Stereo Install

NickB34

Deck: Pioneer DEH-P7800mp

Front Speakers: Infinity Perfect 6.1

Rear Speakers: Infinity Kappa 62.7i

Subwoofer: Infinity Perfect 10.1 VQ

Amplification: Volfenhag ZX-7180 w/ Lightining Audio 1 farad capacitor

Dampening: RAAMaudio RAAMmat BXT and Ensolite (closed cell foam)

Custom Fiberglass Enclosure made by me :)

aDSC02001.thumb.jpg.5aba2bbe6c69969dad03ca804b97a5e2.jpg

aDSC02002.thumb.jpg.e2166f33ae529a1cd2de8c788a53f4fa.jpg

aDSC02007.thumb.jpg.6181b718875e7532933047672f5da9c9.jpg

aDSC02012.thumb.jpg.286f0a0b04b8fd92d3c6e570d11ade58.jpg

aDSC02018.thumb.jpg.c85d1a6cea801737cc59b58fbc7358f6.jpg

aDSC02019.thumb.jpg.83e397b2c246480cc44df86edc15e0a1.jpg

aDSC02026.thumb.jpg.409262a7f1282fba8aed76c359b0f473.jpg

aDSC02027.thumb.jpg.c2da1f2256b653411c866d76eb7e4df7.jpg

aDSC02051.thumb.jpg.6cae573a585d4fa70f6a80337b7b492e.jpg

I have never used dynamat before, I took reference for the sound deadening from this website: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ ... they do a pretty good job explaining everything for you. I really liked the RAAMmat because it was simple to use. I've heard that some of the other brands are a little bit thicker and that you have to use a roller and such to get the product around corners, bends, etc. Good luck using a roller inside these doors.... no special tools or anything needed with the RAAMmat. Also, the RAAMmat costs significantly less than dyanamat, so I figured the choice was simple. Sound deadening was the first thing that I did to my car and it was worth every penny. It even made the stock speakers sound good :)

Yeah, that thing is a beast.... I had it in my previous car pushing two volfenhag 12's. I didn't test it too much because I think the whole car probably would have fallen apart, but I played around with it enough to watch some body panels flexing :)

The box was not terribly difficult, more of a test of patience than anything. I have never worked with fiberglass and I was able to make this happen. I am very happy with the result, a single 10" woofer is exactly what I needed to complete my system. I would say that if you are a "do-it-yourself" kind a of person, this is a very fun project. I did not spend more than $100 in materials and got exactly what I needed. I have enough carpet left over to do another box if I really wanted and I have 3/4 of a 4'x8' sheet of mdf. I also used 4 cans of fiberglass which was atleast 1 more than I needed (extra sealing around the edges). So if you have some of this stuff laying around or can source items better than I can, you could make this for $75 or possibly less. This compares to the $299 + actual shipping for the already made box that I've seen for sale on this site. If you have never worked with fiberglass before, there is a very good walkthrough in the "walkthroughs" section of this forum. And like a said before, I have never used fibreglass before and I was able to easily make this box.

The box was not terribly difficult, more of a test of patience than anything. I have never worked with fiberglass and I was able to make this happen. I am very happy with the result, a single 10" woofer is exactly what I needed to complete my system. I would say that if you are a "do-it-yourself" kind a of person, this is a very fun project. I did not spend more than $100 in materials and got exactly what I needed. I have enough carpet left over to do another box if I really wanted and I have 3/4 of a 4'x8' sheet of mdf. I also used 4 cans of fiberglass which was atleast 1 more than I needed (extra sealing around the edges). So if you have some of this stuff laying around or can source items better than I can, you could make this for $75 or possibly less. This compares to the $299 + actual shipping for the already made box that I've seen for sale on this site. If you have never worked with fiberglass before, there is a very good walkthrough in the "walkthroughs" section of this forum. And like a said before, I have never used fibreglass before and I was able to easily make this box.

Did you buy your mat/cleth locally? I found a guy on ebay who has great prices on biaxial mat/cloth which is supposed to be great for boxes. 20$ or so for 10lb's of the stuff.

Did you buy your mat/cleth locally? I found a guy on ebay who has great prices on biaxial mat/cloth which is supposed to be great for boxes. 20$ or so for 10lb's of the stuff.

I bought 3 packages (1 cubic yard per package I believe) from wal-mart and it cost less than $10. I put 3 layers into the box and I still have some left over. $20 sounds like a good price for 10lbs... you would have a lot left over for other projects as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hey bud, i have the same kappas in the back doors, but i got them in a little different:) I flipped the speaker cover around to take up the gap and got 3 little pieces of metal to attach the speaker to the the holes.

I was curious as to how you gutted the stock speakers out and how to get the kappas to fit in the plastic bracket, i might go back and do that if it isn't too much trouble?

It was pretty simple to gut the speaker, all you have to do is rip the woofer out and then cut off the plastic basket that has the magnet and everything. I used a hack saw blade that is attached to a handle (don't know the technical name for it) and that worked pretty easy. A thin layer of foam between the speaker and the bracket and it seals very well. Screw the speakers directly into the plastic rim... it's a tight fit, but you can get all four screws in there, but even if you mess up or don't want to mess with it then three screws will hold it just fine. Then you have a perfect fitting bracket.

It was pretty simple to gut the speaker, all you have to do is rip the woofer out and then cut off the plastic basket that has the magnet and everything. I used a hack saw blade that is attached to a handle (don't know the technical name for it) and that worked pretty easy. A thin layer of foam between the speaker and the bracket and it seals very well. Screw the speakers directly into the plastic rim... it's a tight fit, but you can get all four screws in there, but even if you mess up or don't want to mess with it then three screws will hold it just fine. Then you have a perfect fitting bracket.

thanks, i think i'll have to rip them stockers out:lol:

Archived