LegacyGT.com

New Competition Clutch stage II first impressions

SubieBlkOut

Hey guys,

After one full Saturday and two evenings, the clutch and a few other maintainence things have been completed. Took a little longer than the 5 hours I was hoping we could swing.:rolleyes: The tranny was a bitch to take off and put on.

Here is a link to the clutch:

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-721/Competition-Clutch-Performance-Clutch/Detail

The engagement point is obviously completely different than stock and man is it grippy!! I have only put about 30 miles on it thus far and just wanted to confirm the proper way to break in a clutch. Be nice to it and drive normal/smoothly for 300-500 miles is what I have been told. Any other comments?

I have stalled it a few times now relearning how to drive a stick.....I feel 16 all over! I think that some of that has to do with the LW flywheel at 13.5 lbs. I haven't noticed any chatter but it shakes the car a little if I am going to slow for a gear at low RPM and try to power through it to accelerate (stop and go traffic this morning). Other than that it feels good and the shifting is smooth with the new Extra-S tranny oil.

Yep I always give them 500 miles of daily grind traffic and as little boost During acceleration as possible. * you will build around 5psi just getting on on ramps and such but just make an effort to stay out of boost* glad to hear your impressions, I can't stand the feel of the dualmass setup being so spongey. I am sure it will get a little smoother over the course of about 1-3k miles.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Glad to hear another home install success story its making me think more and more that when I go to the corn and need to replace my clutch I should be able to actually do it. On a side note I was lookin at your link to the clutch you got and if im not mistaken isnt that for a 6 speed? I thought 6 speed clutchs were bigger then 5 speeds?

I'll be installing the same clutch kit in a few weeks, my exedy is starting to slip in 5th after only 65K. I'll also be doing my own work. I'm getting the torx plus and tranny jack. Anything else I should have on hand? Maybe new flywheel bolts? Last question: Did you have to take apart the ball joints for extra room in the tranny?

Thanks for the write-up!

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I did not have to pull the ball joints/shafts to have enough clearance. Having some extra

space would have helped, but not necessary. I reused my flywheel bolts, but I would use a

new set just to reduce the likelihood of stripping them.

At first we just slide the tranny back a little and tried to undo the stupid torx screws from the top. After stripping 4 of the 8, we completely removed the tranny for better access to the flywheel to drill the bolts. That meant draining the tranny and unbolting the front wheels from the shocks to get more wiggle room to get the axles out of the tranny. I learned the axles are pretty long. So if you get lucky with the torx bolts then you will be fine not doing this, otherwise it adds a bit more work.

I did and would highly recommend replacing the bolts with new ones.

Getting the tranny off like I said wasn't fun....we have to pry it off with crow bars and flat blade screw drivers.

On a side note I was lookin at your link to the clutch you got and if im not mistaken isnt that for a 6 speed? I thought 6 speed clutchs were bigger then 5 speeds?

Sorry, fixed the link

I would order new bolts and have them on hand from a local source just in case you need them. Then you can return with no shipping if not needed. Just my. 02

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• 1 month later...
Clutch is great but very sensitive. I've gotten better with smooth starts. Still have another 230mi of break-in. Love it so far though. Clutch pedal is A LOT smoother than the exedy! Engine starts sound differently too, guess that's the new fw

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I'm about 1500 miles in on the same clutch. It is a lot less sensitive but holds like a mother. :-) definitely don't hate it one bit and recommend this clutch to anyone. the pedal has stock feel but again grips like crazy

I have about 1200 miles on it and have been abusing my clutch lately and it does hold like a mother.....my only negative would be that the engagement point is much smaller than stock. If I am not thinking I buck off the start sometimes.

Other than that I would say this thing is awesome!!!

Archived