LegacyGT.com

Cobb Heatshield. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

TPLGT

So I have had issues with the HS rubbing on the tranny housing. When it rubs (typicall when cold (engine not weather)) It sounds like a grinding, almostr like the sound when you REALLY step on brakes and ABS kick in.

Anyway, as a temp. fix I would bend out the flap/tab using the wedged end of a tire iron and it would last for a few months.

Last weekend a friend and I pulled the F'er off and trimmed the flap/tab...now it will not hit the tranny.

The next day...the sound is as bad as it's ever been. it must not be tightened down enough. My thoughts are to use some form of nylon or heat-resistent rubber grommets to use with the bolts so that it will no longer make ANY noise.

This thing has been a pain in my ass for nearly a year.

Anyone have the same problem? Any fixes?

Rehab is for quitters.

Are you sure there are no rocks/stones caught in your 3rd cat heatshield?

I read your Altima thread, did you dealer maintain that car? Nissan might goodwill if you have an excellent service record with a dealer. If not, go the used route. I'm surprised because those VQ's are quite reliable.

As fasr as the HS goes...I DK if any stones are in the 3rd Cat HS. I have never heard of it...guess I need to search. The thing is that it is now worse since I messed with it...so I would say the COBB HAS to be the issue.

As far as the Altima goes, YES I always had the dealer maintain it...but we have 2 dealers in town (3 actually) and I had it serviced at both over the years. The deralerships are owned byt the same group but the service records do not talk with the other so I would have to deal with BOTh of them...not to mention the new/used motor is already paid for and it should be done next week.

I am updating some pics on the thread.

Rehab is for quitters.

So the car is at the dealer..turns out atleast PART of the noise is the throwout bearing. The car has 47k on it and the clutch was replaced under warranty 25k ago....so I am told the dealer will cover the throwout bearing replacement...good.

The Tech who I know also saif the TMIC (perrin) is VERY close to the brake master cylinder and that under Tq they may be hitting/rubbing. Anyone had this issue?

Rehab is for quitters.

Thanks, man. I guess I should have searched. I just heard from the Tech...he was able to get some space between the 2 and it feels better...I am told.

The car s/b ready on Sat.

Rehab is for quitters.

Thanks, man. I guess I should have searched. I just heard from the Tech...he was able to get some space between the 2 and it feels better...I am told.

The car s/b ready on Sat.

Good to hear.

Mine is going in on Tuesday for clutch install.

Really? How many miles on it?

Did you go the Act route w/ WRX flywheel?

Have about 45,000-50,000 miles on it. Most of that has been stage 2+.

When with the ACT HD-SS with STi flywheel (6MT).

Then installing a bunch of parts and re-tune in about a month or so.

How about you?? Anything new planned .... or did the Altima issues put that on hold for a bit??

Haven't seen you online in a while.

Have about 45,000-50,000 miles on it. Most of that has been stage 2+.

When with the ACT HD-SS with STi flywheel (6MT).

Then installing a bunch of parts and re-tune in about a month or so.

How about you?? Anything new planned .... or did the Altima issues put that on hold for a bit??

Haven't seen you online in a while.

nice set up. The Act and STI FW will be nice. Do you have a 6MT or is the FW compatible?

Nothing new planned for the LGT...gotta get the Altima squared away. I was in Disney for the last few days as it was my step daughter's B-Day...no access to the net.:mad:

Looking forward to getting both the LGT and the Altima back...

Rehab is for quitters.

nice set up. The Act and STI FW will be nice. Do you have a 6MT or is the FW compatible?

Nothing new planned for the LGT...gotta get the Altima squared away. I was in Disney for the last few days as it was my step daughter's B-Day...no access to the net.:mad:

Looking forward to getting both the LGT and the Altima back...

Nice. We decided that our son was still too young (5) for Disney when were there in January. Sometime in the next couple years will be much more enjoyable.

What a PITA when both vehicles go down.

Have a SpecB = 6MT = the shiznit. :lol:

Nice. We decided that our son was still too young (5) for Disney when were there in January. Sometime in the next couple years will be much more enjoyable.

When he gets bigger he will appreciate it...Disney is crazy...it was sooo packed it was out of control!

What a PITA when both vehicles go down.

Have a SpecB = 6MT = the shiznit.I for got you had the Spec B....would love the 6 speed! :lol:

Rehab is for quitters.

Ya ..... the 6MT certainly takes some of the concerns away when pumping up teh powa. ;)

Da powwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! You know about that, brother.

Rehab is for quitters.

Archived