LegacyGT.com

1998 manual trans speedometer issue

Guys,

I've got a 1998 Brighton (non ABS) with a manual and my speedo quit working a few weeks ago. I assume I don't have the faulty 1999 gauge cluster so I'm ruling that issue out. I am thinking that my trans speed sensor is bad. I can't find any suggestions on how to test it online. Does anyone have a resistance spec for this sensor or any other suggestions? Pulled the sensor a minute ago and it looks ok, turns ok, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I doubt this would throw a code since I don't have ABS, my CEL is on always anyways but if that's a possibility I'll have the codes run.

Thanks for the help.

-Drew

read the codes. if you have a speed sensor code replace the speed sensor.

since the sensor is out you can test it with an electric drill and a voltmeter set to 12VDC. i use a piece of plastic tubing on the end of the speed sensor and insert it into the drill. and use a very very very very slow speed on the drill. 800 rpm of your car wheel is about about 60 mph, so keep it slow. 10 - 15 mph will create voltage. the volt meter should jump, maybe several times with each rotation.

speedos can go bad but usually do not. and only the 99 has the issue that the ''blue wire'' fixes.

• 2 months later...

Ok I know this is an old thread but it's my thread that I neglected and now I'm back :)

So I thought I had a code for the speed sensor. I ordered another one, cleared the code, and waited for parts. Well as my luck has it, I never got the code again. I'm now wondering if I misread the code as I now have a p1504 idle speed code, I probably read speed and messed that up.

I did do the drill trick and was able to produce like 0.3-0.5 volts. I assume that is enough to do the job and that my existing sensor is ok, meaning my cluster is whack. I'd like to stick my new sensor in and see but I'd like to return it since it's about 140$. Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Drew

Archived