LegacyGT.com

Installed Steering Wheel Radio Controls, don't work

I just installed the steering wheel radio controls on my 2.5i with stock HU today. None of the controls work, but the buttons do light up, and the new cruise control unit works with no problems.

Everything I have read stated that with a stock HU you could plug in the steering wheel controls without any modification and they would work, it was only if you had an aftermarket HU that you would need an adapter to get the controls to work.

So does anyone have a good answer for me? Do I need an adapter even though I have the stock HU? Did I do something wrong? Are the controls I received broken?

btw I mainly followed this install guide for reference: link

Thanks.

I have a question though, in the link in my original post, the controls were installed in a Forester with a single CD player. What is the reason it works in a Forester with the base radio but not in the Legacy's base radio?

just buy the specb or gt stereo unit some one might be selling it here

Yeah this is what I'm hoping for, considering I don't think I can return the steering wheel controls.

If you know or see anyone selling their stereo, send them my way! ;)

@grossi419: If you ever do decide to do it, whether it be with a different head unit or if you get an adapter, its incredibly easy to do. It takes maybe 10 minutes at most from beginning to end.

edit: btw a brand new GT stereo will cost you $526. No thanks.

• 4 months later...

Archived