LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

Alright Dave, still having some slipping issues with my trans after doing my flush. Not sure if its tune related or what. Getting on an onramp in 2nd (cruising at 40mph then flooring to merge) very delayed shift from 2-3(manual mode didnt upshift let the car do it). Didnt bang or clunk into gear like before just didnt seem to catch when it shouldve. Recently reflashed to my cobb stage 1 93 map. Tryed to repeat in normal drive mode and didnt seem to slip. Any thoughts?

I don't fully remember the background on your car (it's not you, it's that I get hundreds of PMs a month), and can't remember all the details of each person's car troubles.

Do you have a thread with all the details in one place, concise? That is the best way to get the best answer, other than searching (which is almost always better than asking for answers, but takes oodles more time).

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Alright- been having some issues with 2-3 shift slipping. I originally noticed it a couple weeks ago (completely stock, no tune), had it in intelligent mode & manual, merging onto the highway WOT (i didnt upshift manually). Slipped pretty bad and then slammed into 3rd. Figured it was because i was in and it shifts slower. Tried to recreate it, and didnt slip in S# (dont think i tried S). Since then i got an accessport and running the stage 1 93 map. Similar thing happened the other day merging on the highway- i was in manual- S this time, didnt upshift, and it slipped bad. Recreated the slip in S (both manual and auto mode). did not slip in S#. So my question- are my clutch packs wearing out or is the shift too slow? or a little of both?

I don't fully remember the background on your car (it's not you, it's that I get hundreds of PMs a month), and can't remember all the details of each person's car troubles.

Do you have a thread with all the details in one place, concise? That is the best way to get the best answer, other than searching (which is almost always better than asking for answers, but takes oodles more time).

Sorry Dave, I imagine you get tons of messages as you are the Wizard of the 5EATS. I actually tried to recreate the issue again today but couldnt. wasnt on an onramp holding at 40mph- straight acceleration and didnt seem to slip

Sorry Dave, I imagine you get tons of messages as you are the Wizard of the 5EATS. I actually tried to recreate the issue again today but couldnt. wasnt on an onramp holding at 40mph- straight acceleration and didnt seem to slip

I'm no genius, just a guy with an interest in transmissions :)

I can generally say the same thing to anyone, narrows it down to either trans is fine, or trans is worn:

Check the fluid level on level ground with engine all warmed up AFTER a drive, and engine still running. If the level is correct, and your fluid is clean, then you have already done what you can. Next step is either to get a rebuild, or live with it. The severity of the symptoms is the deciding factor: If the driver (you) can't tolerate it anymore, then time to open up or swap out the trans.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I'm no genius

I'm sure 100% of the users in this thread would disagree with that statement. I checked my fluid last night and it is spot-on :). I was really kind of wondering if it could be the tune (maybe my TCU is still learning) or if its because of limited or partial boost from the acceleration pattern (i.e. holding 2nd mid-gear at 40mph as opposed to accelerating straight through) I'm feeling pretty decent after no slips today. I'll keep trying.

Could be a lot of things but definitely not tune.

You did not tune the transmission, you only tuned the engine.

There is no tuning capability for our transmission, not to date anyway.

Delayed shifting can mean worn transmission or flaky valve body or a fluke caused by a number of things such as cold winter and cold ATF temp, low level, too high level, etc. If you can confirm that your fluid is not spent, it is up to level, it is warm, and the transmission does not constantly shift delayed with the pedal down, then it's likely it was a fluke.

I thought the TCU was constantly 'learning'? Maybe im thinking of something else. I have 100% fresh fluid and correct amount. Dont have a temp gague though. Slipped again on the way home about after 20 mins of driving so I assume it was up to temp. Held it in 2nd around 40mph then floored it and let it shift itself (manual mode). Might reflash to stock and see if it still happens.

That's bizarre. Were you in the car when it happened? If not, I wouldn't go back to that shop. Sounds like a sure case of abuse. There are four planetaries on the sun gear, so there's tons of surface area for the teeth faces. It should be hella strong. Anybody else ever strip the center diff planet?

the four gears are missing a few teeth but the other gear is stripped. I was there but wasn't in the car.

Edited by Gorilla_Douglas

It sounds like the mechanic may have launched your car after the tune. Little did he know, you can't do that on a stock center diff.

Many people have, but none have with either cryo treatment or the bushings installed (and people have tried). Issue does not appear to be the gears themselves, though they end up paying when torque deforms the assembly and things stop meshing nicely.

cryo treatment? bushings? would turning with three tires spinning do it? it's gonna cost a $1000 to get it fixed.

would turning with three tires spinning do it?

Please tell us the full story of what happened, and in which gear it was done :)

it's gonna cost a $1000 to get it fixed.

Yup, that's what it has cost each person to fix.

Please tell us the full story of what happened, and in which gear it was done :)

I was coming up on my turn, really wasn't going very fast (40mph). I slowed to make the turn. As I started the turn I punch the gas and the rear slide out a little, tires broke loose and I looked in my rearview to see three black marks.:spin:

The four small gears I need are on back order..... :mad:

Okay while I am pretty sure my tranny is toast,

2007 legacy gt 108k

But maybe some of you guys can enlighten me.

Tranny slipping when going up hills, or if I get on it in pretty much every gear. in both D or manual tip tonic shift. I drive conservative and when i do that it seems fine, so I think it's previous owners fault. I've changed front diff fluid, tranny fluid and still does it. Clicks when it goes from 2 to 1 as well.

Also: old lady who had it before was an idiot and had 205/45 on the rear drivers tire, 215/45 on the rest. Not sure for how long but we noticed it when doing the rear diff fluid. Not sure what kind of stress that would put on the center diff/tranny.

Also from a stop sometimes it will shudder then go into gear.

At first when I would wot it and at a high rpm while it was slipping I'd hear a grind and it would go into gear. As I did it once to test it but haven't tried since.

Thanks in advance

Edited by AWFILMS

How much time are you giving your tranny to learn the tune/flash? It takes 100-200 miles for the 5EAT to learn the VBmod that Hexmods is doing. (unless that learning curve has changed since I installed mine?)

But flashing the ecu will not reset the tcu. There shouldn't be any tcu relearning time after an ecu tune at all.

Every time I've upgraded the car requiring a new tune, it always takes a few days for the tranny to learn how to shift, again. IMO the tranny is always learning.

Every time I've upgraded the car requiring a new tune, it always takes a few days for the tranny to learn how to shift, again. IMO the tranny is always learning.

People have written me saying the same thing. It's doing something...

• Mega Users
I've flashed so many revisions and never noticed anything. On the SI models, it could be different considering the correlation between boost control and requested torque, but for the non-SI models, I don't know of anything. It could just need time to adapt to increased power.

Okay while I am pretty sure my tranny is toast,

2007 legacy gt 108k

But maybe some of you guys can enlighten me.

Tranny slipping when going up hills, or if I get on it in pretty much every gear. in both D or manual tip tonic shift. I drive conservative and when i do that it seems fine, so I think it's previous owners fault. I've changed front diff fluid, tranny fluid and still does it. Clicks when it goes from 2 to 1 as well.

Also: old lady who had it before was an idiot and had 205/45 on the rear drivers tire, 215/45 on the rest. Not sure for how long but we noticed it when doing the rear diff fluid. Not sure what kind of stress that would put on the center diff/tranny.

Also from a stop sometimes it will shudder then go into gear.

At first when I would wot it and at a high rpm while it was slipping I'd hear a grind and it would go into gear. As I did it once to test it but haven't tried since.

Thanks in advance

Anyone?

Sounds like it's toast. Needs a rebuild most likely.

Yeah, I have no clue whats going on. On the way home the AT OIL TEMP light started flashing, My drivers side rear axle just popped out of the rear diff while it was slipping too all of the sudden... :mad:

more searching. Sounds like i have pretty much the same problem as this guy. Driver side axle could be getting no power? Causing clutches to burn out, aka start slipping?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-shuddering-slipping-every-gear-190189.html

News! Looks like the rear diff was the problem after all. For some unknown amount of time, the driver's side axle has been getting no power at all. The gears on that side, and the axle stub, are all chewed to sh!t. This seems to have resulted in the transfer clutches being burnt out in the transmission.

So a rear diff, an axle, and (another) set of transfer clutches. Hopefully, I have my car back tomorrow.

Edited by AWFILMS

*scratches eyes* one of my first posts in almost a year. I bought climbers 5eat VB mod this time last year!...actually 14 months ago. I've been vf52 stage 3 since April last year and my tranny is as strong as ever. Especially in sport mode. Thanks climber, money well spent