LegacyGT.com

AH a question I know its been done

So I have a 2006 Legacy Wagon came into my hands.... Customer blew there motor refused to pay for the tow ect so now I own a 2006 Legacy 2.5I S eddition... YAY!

I have a wrecked 2008 3.0R saden outside...

My question is can the motor, wiring harness, cluster, ecu all come out of the 3.0R and swap into the wagons chasie with out much issue. The 2.5I is a 5 speed vs auto

any thought besides upgrade the clutch? Not looking for a power house looking for a DD out of this I can sell

Thanks

As long as you take the extras you listed (wiring harness, ecu, etc), it should work out pretty darn well. Not sure how the final drive ratios and gearing works out. I'm also not aware of a transmission compatibility issue, but there may be one. In general, it should be solveable though. Subarus are very interchangeable mechanically. When you get into the wiring and firmware/software, you will start having compatibility issues. But, if you're swapping all the important bits, the car was designed to handle both of those scenarios. Someone more knowledgeable than me can point out the potential gotchas.

What brakes does a 3.0R have? A 2.5i has vastly inferior brakes to a GT. Dunno if the 3.0R is in between or has one or the other. Either way, you may want to consider a brake upgrade as well.

Good luck!

Thanks m8, Yes the breaks are coming off the 3.0R as the other are some micky mouse shit off ebay, the 3.0R has brand new calipers front and rear... odviously disks and pads will be needed. Just hope the ebreak set up is the same... currently looking at that as well as trying to figure out weight of an H6 vs H4 in the front

The auto/manual swap will cause headaches... They never made a 3.0 with manual in the USA.

If you only want to sell the car for profit, the fastest way would be to buy pretty much any non turbo 2.5 subaru engine to swap in. You should be able to find one for <$1000.

not understanding how it will cause a headace? The 3.0R engine comes out the trans is junk and I mean its case was split in 1/2..... I just want to take the motor en what I need to put into the 06 and make it run, hell maybe keep it. I'm not really wantting to drop 800 into a motor for a car that has a $259 tow bill im already eatting.... Figured I'd ask guess i'll just attempt

not understanding how it will cause a headace? The 3.0R engine comes out the trans is junk and I mean its case was split in 1/2..... I just want to take the motor en what I need to put into the 06 and make it run, hell maybe keep it. I'm not really wantting to drop 800 into a motor for a car that has a $259 tow bill im already eatting.... Figured I'd ask guess i'll just attempt

The engine software expects an automatic gearbox to communicate with, so you may get problems, at least in the form of codes.

I don't think anyone has gotten a 3.0 5spd swap to work without having gremlins.

It will not be plug and play. You will spend hours/days merging harnesses between the 2 cars and still have to reprogram/fool the ECU into ignoring the fact there is no auto transmission attached.

I don't think anyone has gotten a 3.0 5spd swap to work without having gremlins.

It will not be plug and play. You will spend hours/days merging harnesses between the 2 cars and still have to reprogram/fool the ECU into ignoring the fact there is no auto transmission attached.

Since we have had 3.0 with manual gearbox here in Europe it's not impossible.

I think it was with 6MT though.

453747.png

• 4 weeks later...
Maybe he can source used euro wiring harness from ebay?

Actually what im doing right now is looking over seas for a harness. I'm also seeing if the Eruo ECU will work with the USDM 3.0R if not I have a buyer lined up to take the engine ect from the wrecked car and the 2.5I will just sit out back for awhile

I would think a bigger issue would be merging a CANbus Engine with a non-CANbus chassis...

90% of it is the same. They changed the ECU pinout and extended the CAN Bus to the ODB port. CAN message format is still the same, modules will still talk. You'd probably want to use the under dash harness of the ECU that will be running everything, but most of the connectors are the same between them so it wont be too crazy.

90% of it is the same. They changed the ECU pinout and extended the CAN Bus to the ODB port. CAN message format is still the same, modules will still talk. You'd probably want to use the under dash harness of the ECU that will be running everything, but most of the connectors are the same between them so it wont be too crazy.

Interesting. I was thinking about the interface with the instrument cluster, trip computer, ABS, etc.

So are the pre-(07?) cars CANbus as well, just not at the OBD2 port?

So are the pre-(07?) cars CANbus as well, just not at the OBD2 port?

Yepers! It would technically work between car models as well as long as it's not relying on messages that got added later. The guy that did the electric power steering swap had to spoof a lot of messages because they weren't being published or the modules that would publish them weren't there (steering angle and yaw sensor in his case).

Some you can just mix and match, others (things the immobilizer is keyed to) you need to keep together unless you want to go bribe the dealer to let you use their tool.

So this will need to wait. Buddies wife blew the motor up other day... 5,000 later his wife has a brand new motor and bunch other peaces her car was missing.... so guess the 2.5I will just sit there for awhile longer har har har

Archived