LegacyGT.com

do those oil change vacuum pumps work well?

im getting tired of oil getting all over the place, it seems like it takes longer to clean up than it does to change the oil. i was gonna get fumoto valves for my subarus, but they have to be machined so itll just be cheaper to get a pump. anyone have any experience with this? http://www.liquivac.com/shop/liquivac-large-projectengine-model-capacity-8-quarts/

I've always liked the idea that pulling the plug meant residue low in the pan would drain out. I don't think a pump will clean things up as well.

I have used a pump to draw out auto trans fluid when dropping the pan would be required. Especially when dropping the pan meant removing a cross member.

I ve used this on Mercedes Benz s for years , works well. Even the MB dealer do it this way. I did mine once and then removed the plug just to see what would be left and nothing else came out. I m sure different oil pans may have different results. With some cars even having the filter up top on the engine , you can change the oil without ever going under the car.

im getting tired of oil getting all over the place, it seems like it takes longer to clean up than it does to change the oil. i was gonna get fumoto valves for my subarus, but they have to be machined

Really, both my Legacy's have them and they screwed right in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My comment on the oil sucking device... your oil has to be really hot to get it out in a reasonable amount of time. Yes they suck oil out for a lot of european cars, but they also have more powerful air compressor driven ones often. I have a larger one, and it works wonders for brakes etc etc.. but it took me forever to get the oil done, so slow and since I had to get under the car for the filter anyways.. I just don't bother.

Archived