LegacyGT.com

Advice - Options when buying a Subaru Legacy GT

john_rt

Hi Guys,

bit of a newbie here so more info the better.

I'm importing a Subaru Legacy GT from the States to Canada. Have read all the rules and info from everywhere so am okay on the process.

My question revolves around what options I should ask my dealer to install. (I don't want to do any serious upgrades as I don't have much $$ and I also don't want any hassle when I bring it over the border.) I just want to know the simple upgrades that are suggested from a value perspective.

For example,

should I purchase the Short Throw Shifter ($243), metal pedal set, moonroof air reflector, fog lamp trim cover, read dome light....

Anything else that people either wish they got or happy that they got it.

I also know my wife will limit after market purchases so even if its a bit more expensive, I'd rather get it at the dealer.

Also,

what are some of the options that the dealer will try to press and your opinions on them. For example, rust proofing. Is this a worthy option from the dealership or should i get it done afterwards. (The dealer hasn't mentioned the price for this yet.)

Thanks, ANY information is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks a lot

One option I got the dealer to put on my car was the auto-dimming/homelink rear view mirror. I had both these options on my last car so I wanted them in this car. The auto dimming feature really works well and is a safety issue in my opinion. My audi also had self dimming side mirrors but those aren't offered on the LGT. The rearview mirror is the most important anyway.

Also, the homelink is great if you don't want to have your garage remote hanging around..........

I have pretty much all the options on my car, and the only one I regret is the center armrest extension.

When extended, it's uncomfortable and it makes it harder to open the middle compartment.

I like the short throw shifter quite a bit. Feels much tighter, sharper.

What I don't have is the power seat memory buttons. I wasn't even given an option for that, and am wondering why - something I will ask my dealer when I take my car in for the new plates.

One option I got the dealer to put on my car was the auto-dimming/homelink rear view mirror. I had both these options on my last car so I wanted them in this car. The auto dimming feature really works well and is a safety issue in my opinion. My audi also had self dimming side mirrors but those aren't offered on the LGT. The rearview mirror is the most important anyway.

Also, the homelink is great if you don't want to have your garage remote hanging around..........

I have to agree with the auto dimming mirror (I have the one without the HomeLink option). It is by far the best added option. Never had one before. But I love it and probably would want it on every car I get in the future.

Cool, tx...auto dimming mirror definitely in.

What about the short throw shifter?

I currently drive an auto and am going into a manual, would a short throw shifter be easier or harder to learn on?

Has anyone got the STI air intake or exhaust system from subaru? Worth the $$??

tx

Er... The short throw is better all around - but you should learn how to drive a stick shift on an old car (I suggest ~80's Toyota :) ) just to learn the dynamics of clutch/gas applications. The LGT's clutch isn't as forgiving when it comes to slipping, so you can burn it up quick if you don't know what you're doing.

Archived