LegacyGT.com

BE HONEST ... did you really keep your car always under 4k?

sorry to beat the subject .. but i have to ask. i'm driving into work today, (i'm only at 500 miles) and a nissan sentra is attempting to play .. my ego kicked in and while i only needed to push it to 5k to stay ahead, i was thinking to myself .. there is no way in hell anyone driving this thing could hold it under 4k 100% of the time they were under 1k miles. so tell the truth all you > 1000 milers, .. did you really keep it under 100% of the time?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
confession time........no way in he!! I was up to 5K rpm within 100 miles. I let me wife drive it while I baby-sat in the passenger seat. I told her to stay under "4K". When she started moving in 1st gear she pushed it up to nearly redline before shifting to 2nd. I yelled, hey I said keep it under "4K" and she said I'm not going "40" yet. Ouch! I was routinely going to 5K and occasionally 6K after the first 3 or 4 hundred miles. The engine is just too sweet and purrs so nicely that I can't believe anyone really holds it below 4K for 1,000 miles. I'm sure I'll hear how horrible this way for my engine. All that I can say is that it pulls stronger than ever now that it has about 4K miles on it. The low speed studder and abrupt turbo lag lurch are almost non-existent. Flame Away!

No I went to 4500 a few times getting on the highway thats it though. And now I mostly drive below 3000 rarely ever getting into boost.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Good god this under 4k thing is gettin beat to death. Go toke some purple sticky punch and toot around for a couple hours. Although you'll think your flying....you'll really only be goin 30mph and puttin on some good miles to get you to the finish line. :lol:
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

After about 300 miles started driving more normal, than after 500 miles only ended up getting about 12 miles per gallon for that tank. This thing definatly sucks down the gas when your on it.
Hmmmmm, still thinking :confused:

I kept mine under 4k most of the time, except for one missed gear change that must have seen 6k, and a couple of times passing cars going slow in the fast lane (about 4.2 - 4.3) Luckily break-in was short for me. I did not start pushing it to 5k+ till well past break in.

Nuh-uh. I did my own break-in. I've been getting the engine and gears good and warmed up and then I drive it like I'd drive any other car, always making sure to give it a good cool down period after I get on it. So far I have 900 miles, and the car has seen 5-6K quite a few times. As far as fuel efficiency I've been really impressed, because this Legacy is getting comparable gas mileage to my 02 Legacy. I've been averaging 23 mpg on the three tanks I've gone though so far. As far as ignoring the manufacturer's suggested break-in, I don't think that I'm harming my car because I'm responsible about taking it up to high RPMs. Many gearheads and engine builders are of the school of thought that new engines need a good heat cycling to seat the rings, but don't need to have an extensive period of babying. I think Subaru is erring on the side of caution because for the average consumer it is easier to convey "Drive like a gramma for 1000 miles" rather than explaining how long to let the engine and gears heat up, what sort of varying loads to put on it, how long to let it cool down, etc.,

[quote name='Stacie']Nuh-uh. I did my own break-in. I've been getting the engine and gears good and warmed up and then I drive it like I'd drive any other car, always making sure to give it a good cool down period after I get on it. So far I have 900 miles, and the car has seen 5-6K quite a few times. As far as fuel efficiency I've been really impressed, because this Legacy is getting comparable gas mileage to my 02 Legacy. I've been averaging 23 mpg on the three tanks I've gone though so far. As far as ignoring the manufacturer's suggested break-in, I don't think that I'm harming my car because I'm responsible about taking it up to high RPMs. Many gearheads and engine builders are of the school of thought that new engines need a good heat cycling to seat the rings, but don't need to have an extensive period of babying. I think Subaru is erring on the side of caution because for the average consumer it is easier to convey "Drive like a gramma for 1000 miles" rather than explaining how long to let the engine and gears heat up, what sort of varying loads to put on it, how long to let it cool down, etc.,[/QUOTE] Hmmm.... I think you have some very valid points

[QUOTE] As far as ignoring the manufacturer's suggested break-in, I don't think that I'm harming my car because I'm responsible about taking it up to high RPMs. Many gearheads and engine builders are of the school of thought that new engines need a good heat cycling to seat the rings, but don't need to have an extensive period of babying. I think Subaru is erring on the side of caution because for the average consumer it is easier to convey "Drive like a gramma for 1000 miles" rather than explaining how long to let the engine and gears heat up, what sort of varying loads to put on it, how long to let it cool down, etc.,[/QUOTE] couldn't have said it better even if I could speak. But you must have one hell of a long commute to be getting 23 mpg. My last tank I got about 18 mpg, and that was being nice to the car and keeping it out of sportshift. I only have about a 4 mile commute, takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes depneding on the way I get there.
Hmmmmm, still thinking :confused:

[quote name='LandShark']confession time........no way in he!! I was up to 5K rpm within 100 miles. I let me wife drive it while I baby-sat in the passenger seat. I told her to stay under "4K". When she started moving in 1st gear she pushed it up to nearly redline before shifting to 2nd. I yelled, hey I said keep it under "4K" and she said I'm not going "40" yet. Ouch![/QUOTE] I let my mom drive it, gave her the keep it under 4k talk, and thought she would do fine. What'd she do? She smoked the clutch while bouncing off the rev-limiter..... But what can I say, I know I've done worse with my parent's cars. Karma is a bitch.

I hardly ever keep it under 4k rpms :D :D :D seriously though I am having some real problems keeping my speed and boost to a minimum, I LOVE THIS CAR. BTW I got a ticket yesterday just coming off a bridge into a 4 lane thourofare doing 43km over the limit.... ouch the $$$$$$$. Parousia

Archived