LegacyGT.com

what type of gains would a naturally aspirated motor see?

Honestly, most people on this forum will tell you that it's not worth it to try to make a 2.5i "fast." If you want a quick car, you're better off starting with a turbo'd car.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5i-power-mods-6728.html According to this page, you might come close to 200 chp with the right bolt ons. After that, it gets too expensive to make it faster.

really that much of a gain. my car is almost paid off, i know if i wanted a fast car, a new engine or car would be a better bet, but i do a lot of rally cross and it moves pretty well as it is. with all the weight i will be adding just a little more hp would be nice. who knows, i want an s2000 for a track car, and i want a '14 forester xt. it all depends on how much of a bitch my wife is and if i'm ever allowed to have a spare car. and a race car would require a truck one day...

One thing not mentioned on that page that's worth looking into is an opensource tune. That combined with some bolt ons and free flowing headers make quite a difference. I know of a guy on NASIOC with a 07 impreza 2.5i who ended up with 189 hp at the wheels after his tune :eek: (he was in the low 140s before.)

Yep, bradze. You can expect around 10-15% gain usually for a NA.

20-25% is possible with more mechanical changes.

Beyond that is unlikely, not with today's engines and/or a full tear-down and rebuild.

I'd say beef up the suspension and handling first, then shed some curb weight (to help the power:weight ratio regardless of what you end up with), next the typical intake/exhaust mods, lightweight pulley set, possibly an open-source tune and you're golden.

I had an e-tune done to '12 2.5i (and that is it). One thing that Subaru did with the factory tune was they only added timing at the peak hp. Everywhere else, the time was down 5-8 degrees though the wot rpm range. It looks like to me they putting the timing at 5600rpm to reach the advertised hp number. The tune lean my AFR from 11.0:1 to 12.7:1. I wouldn't be suprised if my peak hp wasn't even a 5hp gain, but my average hp throughout the rpm power band has to be up atleast 10hp. One nice thing about my tune is I gain about 1.5 to 2mpg in fuel economy, so my tune will eventually pay for itself in fuel economy savings alone.

Archived