LegacyGT.com

Getting Vag-Com cable to work

sma11s101

I recently bought the cheapo vag-com cable off of ebay. I have been trying to get it to work with my 05 lgt wagon but just can't figure it out.

The drivers all installed fine and when i plug it in it makes the little xp hardware ding. Also, in ecuflash it shows up in the bottom right the cable model or what not. When plugged into the car the little green led lights up too. The only problem is it just wont connect. I tried the Tari Racing software, wont connect. Ecuflash, wont connect. Romraider, connecting to ECU eternally.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Alex

After installing all the software I wanted to use (ecuF and RR on XP), one of which includes a driver for the cable, I then updated the cable driver using the drivers in the first link in the above post. I have had no problems using everything. Read and flash, no problems whatsoever.

I have the baud rate at the correct setting and have no other COM issues. Next to a portable harddrive this is the only usb device ever plugged in. I shows up as correctly installed within device manager.

I haven't tried the old version of ECUFlash because I can't find it anywhere but if none of the other programs work either I doubt that that's the problem?

This may be a bit simple and you've probably checked, but did you select the right com port? One time I couldn't get the cable to work and it turned out I plugged into a different USB port from normal. Another thing may be the cable might not be plugged all the way on to the OBDII connector. I had that once too, it wouldn't flash because it was slightly off, but still showed up as connected.

Sometimes it is the simple things that screw it up..

Just want to make sure that you have the key turned forward to the "ON" position when you are trying to connect to the car. I've been using one of the $12 cables for years now with only minor configuration issues
Let's kick this pig!

I am using ECUFlash 1.42.2595; RomRaider v0.5.2 Beta; Learning View 0.6a; SimpleTune v0.99e. As of a couple weeks ago, these are all the latest versions, and may still be.

Make sure all the software you want to use is installed on your laptop.

Download the latest driver for the cable and unzip.

Plug in the cable.

Go into Device Manager and uninstall the cable.

Unplug the cable and reboot.

Plug in the cable.

Install the driver for the cable from the unzipped folder. If your laptop installs the driver without giving you the option to chose, then go into Device Manager and update the driver from there.

Tip: the cable isn't all that long. Use the USB port on your laptop that is farthest left and back.

Archived