LegacyGT.com

Metra+fm modulator+ WHAT?=IPOD WORKING

The Mayor

Sorry for the dumb question...I just ordered the metra and a fm modulator. I am taking it to an installer (do not have the time or ability to do it:redface: )...so what else do I need to give them...metra plugs into car antenna, metra plugs into fm modulator...how does ipod plug into fm modulator?:confused:

Sorry for the dumb question...I just ordered the metra and a fm modulator. I am taking it to an installer (do not have the time or ability to do it:redface: )...so what else do I need to give them...metra plugs into car antenna, metra plugs into fm modulator...how does ipod plug into fm modulator?:confused:

Two possible ways. Either through the head phone jack (mini jack to RCA cable) or from a line out that you attach to the bottom of the ipod; which is what I use in my impreza.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wspOIFOAisc/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?wm=fa&I=119AICHG2

This will also charge the iPod as well as give you a line out. You'll still need the mini jack to RCA cable.

I know for a fact you can get it cheaper than $40 elsewhere. I think I paid $34 total including shipping. Don't remember where I got it though.

Piece of cake. The $30 Metra kit, plus a wired FM modulator, and a rca-to-3.5mm cable, and you're done.

We took our Metra cables to Circuit City, they sold us a $50 FM Modulator, set it up, and we were out the door (including the Metra cables) for about $110. Sounds very good, shy of CD quality, closer to the highest quality audio tapes from the old days.

I still think it's asinine that Subaru made this so damn difficult.

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

Well my pictures aren't the best, but I just did this exact thing to my brother's 2.5i. You will have to read some of the other posts to find out how to disassemble the dash. There are some REALLY good write ups on it. Just do a search.

Hardware used

- Audiovox FMM100A FM Modulator (~$50 inc./ship)

- Metra adapters (~$30 + ship)

- Monster iPod charger w/Line out (~$30)

- minijack to RCA cable to connect to monster charger; make sure you get one that is atleast 6ft. I'd recommend 10ft if you can get one. ($5)

Picture 1 - This is the switch to turn on the FM modulator. An FM mod with a switch supposedly gives better sound. Sooo any way. There are two small slots in just to the left of the stereo that are PERFECT for mounting it. I reversed the label and removed the red cap from the switch to make it look better.

Picture 2 - Another picture of the switch with the panel in place. Somewhat discrete when you aren't looking for it.

Picture 3 - The iPod w/monster connector and cables. The iPod lays nicely above the cup holders.

Picture 4 - To mount the FM modulator just below the stereo I went with velcro strips. Those things are very sticky. The other sides were mounted on the air bag unit (I think that's what it is) just below the stereo.

Picture 5 - Here is where the FM mod will sit.

Picture 6 - To power the FM mod you need 12volts. The fuse box doesn't appear to supply that so I tapped off the back of the cigarette lighter which happens to be exactly that :) 12 volts. I soldered a "fork" type connector to the hot wire of the FM mod, bent it and then screwed it to the back of the cigarette lighter.

The ground wire can be placed just about any where. I attached to a nice size bolt just above and to the right of the hand brake.

Picture 7 - this is what the connectors on the metra cables look like.

Picture 8 - The monster iPod adapter. When you order this don't be surprised if you don't see the line out connector advertised. BUT make sure you look at the pictures before ordering. I think there is a version that doesn't have it.

Picture 9 - The audiovox FM modulator.

Picture 10 - This picture should have been earlier in the list, sorry. This one shows where I drilled the one and only hole to get the RCA to minijack cable in the center console. I didn't want cables running where people could see them.

The whole process took me a couple hours. Mainly because I was being cautious taking the dash apart.

The sound quality was quite impressive. There is a fair amount of hissing at higher volumes, but I fully expected that. It is an FM mod setup, and you'll get that; some units have more than others. This audiovox is pretty good.

1.jpg.4455eb277e86f3040ac83d88f5f37c95.jpg

2.jpg.5055edfdeb7b1e07011b1f137d4f1090.jpg

3.jpg.d28f2a8b88e4a16d5227e565f55e58d3.jpg

4.jpg.96aa6638610f327063cdbbd9989470c1.jpg

5.jpg.f45e9cf16a7c1ceb5229d8416d315d6b.jpg

7.jpg.20db9b1ccf28b399e1d75713377b48d1.jpg

8.jpg.35e4deadb212e92cf85a845d31910401.jpg

9.jpg.ae38e88f1c1c70caa2e23c673cb3e7b9.jpg

10.jpg.b9b2c9f6fac8cc07d526ca0237046d32.jpg

6.jpg.844c0fc168c5e7da9cd663511e23c5c2.jpg

It looks like picture 6 was deleted (or I never uploaded it). I wasn't able to re-upload it, but basically is showed the 12v power connected to the back of the lighter element.

Do you need to dismantle the lighter element to tap to the end of it?

Ken

I'm using this http://www.sik.com/imp.php

and a regular monster red/white audio to mini jack cable. I just drilled a hole the size of a quarter under the mat in the center console and ran the End of the monster cable through, then connected it to the imp and the imp to the acc lighter thing in the center console. I usually just lay the ipod on the rubber cup holder slider (the center console has a little notch to run the cable through.

Picture 1 - This is the switch to turn on the FM modulator. An FM mod with a switch supposedly gives better sound. Sooo any way. There are two small slots in just to the left of the stereo that are PERFECT for mounting it. I reversed the label and removed the red cap from the switch to make it look better.

Picture 2 - Another picture of the switch with the panel in place. Somewhat discrete when you aren't looking for it.

wow, great place for the switch. I have the exact same fm modulator and was looking for a place to put the switch. Thanks for the idea.

There is a fair amount of hissing at higher volumes

I took care of this with a "ground loop noise reducer"(not exactly sure the name) but i takes care of the hiss. I was able to pick it up @ radio shack for a few bucks.

Do you need to dismantle the lighter element to tap to the end of it?

Ken

It wasn't too tough. I had removed that piece of the console, so on my kitchen counter I flipped it over, put my finger in the lighter (no comments please), to hold the lighter element in, then I removed the nut and slipped the "fork" connector on. I also bent the fork almost 90 degrees with a pair of needle nose pliers to make it easier to put the piece back in the car.

Trying to upload this picture again... hope it works

6.jpg.a5a3af3c69fa0e72dcb95b43db065fe7.jpg

I took care of this with a "ground loop noise reducer"(not exactly sure the name) but i takes care of the hiss. I was able to pick it up @ radio shack for a few bucks.

Nice... where in the circuit did you put it? I'm not a real electronics genius when it come to that stuff.

How is that SIK adapter? I was torn between that and the monster one. I think I went with the monster for my brother's car simply because it was black and matched the interior a bit more.

In my impreza I chose it because I simply didn't have enough room to use the SIK adapter. The cigarette lighter is pretty low in the cubby below the radio.

Just wondering about the placement of that switch. According to the service manual, the two small slots on the center console are where the HVAC system draws in air to measure cabin air temperature.

Did mounting the switch there affect your A/C performance?

Ken

1806307330_airinlet.jpg.02569f2f5f46b430fc3e267710225bb7.jpg

To be honest I looked behind those holes and saw nothing. No sensors or vents.

My brother said the A/C hasn't been affected at all. He has the 2.5i which does NOT have the automatic climate control. Maybe that's the difference.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to installing an FM Modulator in my LGT wagon. Thanks to Kuth678 and all the other folks for posting pictures and installation instructions. Pretty much everything went without a hitch with the exception of me burning my thumb on a soldering iron.

I used an Audiovox FMM100A Modulator that uses an on/off switch. The overall sound quality is much clearer and stronger compared to the FM transmitter I had been using. It’s nice to hear pure silence with the modulator powered on and the tuner dialed into the right frequency. The only noise I seem to hear comes from when my iPod spins up it’s hard drive to access more songs. While it’s not CD-quality, it’s an acceptable solution until some of our more EE-savvy friends finish the direct AUX-in modification for the stock HU.

Some things I noted that might help some others:

- Budget a lot of time the first time you take apart the center console. The parts are held in by plastic clips and come out with some force, but the pieces are fragile and easily scratched. The learning curve is pretty steep and the process becomes relatively easy the second time around.

- I used a plastic scraping tool from our kitchen to remove the chrome ring around the shifter to minimize scratching.

- I used the 90-degree bend of hex-keys to pull up the trim around the shifter.

- Cover the area around the gated shifter with a towel prior to removing the headunit to prevent scratches.

- Use caution to not drop the two screws that hold the HU in the back – it’s easy to lose them forever in the jumble of cables and insulation.

- Once the HU screws are removed, start with the hazard light harness on the back upper right.

- I used double adhesive Velcro strips to attach the modulator to the center AC duct directly behind the HU. Some folks use the ABS unit below, but I wanted to stay clear of that unit.

- I drew power for my modulator from the back of the cigarette lighter on the center console.

- I drilled two holes in the bottom of the center box to run the modulator switch and RCA/minijack cable into the storage cubby. I cut small slits in the “carpet” to allow these to come through. On the Legacy GT, the ACC temperature sensor sits behind the two slits in the driver footwell area so I needed to change this location.

Ken

think you (or anyone) could provide more detail on which part exactly you are talking about?

Archived