LegacyGT.com

Tow Hitch

blusube

Anybody get a tow hitch for a GT sedan or wagon? I have a GT wagon and called around but they said there was no hitch out yet. However, online says they are available. I'm not looking at towing anything, just for carrying bikes. Thanks!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My dealer has been with Suby for ever and said she would order the outback hitch and have her tech guys install. She even offered to get it at dealer cost to go along with my VIP invoice price. We will see what happens, but if they put one on the sedan, my wagon should be no problem. I just want to use hitch for my bike rack as well.

I had downloaded the installation instructions and part number for that hitch, as well as the picture, from a previous thread we had. Had the sales guy check into it before delivery. Basically, they wouldn't do the Outback hitch on the Legacy, since it's not an approved use. Yeah, it's obvious that it fits & all. I don't have a need for it until Spring, so I may just wait to see if they finally make an "official" Legacy hitch. If not, the aftermarket can handle it. Ron
Ron

Screw Subaru's over-engineered hitch system. I bought a Hidden Hitch from [url]http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=90756&Category_Code=H[/url] I've used Hidden Hitch on several other vehicles I've owned. Great quality. It took me literally 25 minutes to install the Hidden Hitch on my '05 Legacy GT wagon. Very simple: back the car up on a set of ramps, lower the exhaust (no need to remove, simply disconnect the 4 hangers), snap out 4 body plugs (2 each side above mufflers, already predrilled and tapped), raise hitch into place, 2 bolts each side and one that goes through the rear tow loop. I had 25 minutes into it from the time I back up on the ramps until I drove the car down, including torquing the bolts to spec according to instructions. You can go to the link above and print out the same instructions I used to install mine. I'll post some pics when I get them off my camera when I get home. IMO it's a much better looking hitch than Subaru's. Bruce

[quote name='rporter']I would be interested in seeing that hitch. In the defense of OEM mfrs like Subaru and others, they have to comply with a lot of regs, so they hafta do what they hafta do. Ron[/quote] Subaru, or any other manufacturer for that matter, does not make their own hitch. It's outsourced to some other company.

[quote name='MrVvrroomm'] Subaru, or any other manufacturer for that matter, does not make their own hitch. It's outsourced to some other company.[/quote] Oh sure, tons of parts are outsourced. BUT.....if the factory installs it, or the dealer does it as an authorized installation, they are liable. This is the issue. In the "fine print", even Subaru-approved accessories are backed by Subaru if they are dealer or factory installed, but not if "Bubba's Garage" does it. Ron
Ron

[img]http://a8.cpimg.com/image/6A/B0/40288618-ccef-02000153-.jpg[/img] [img]http://a2.cpimg.com/image/6E/B0/40288622-e911-02000153-.jpg[/img] [img]http://a6.cpimg.com/image/72/B1/40288626-81ae-02000153-.jpg[/img] No cutting, no drilling. Less than 30 minute install with simple hand tools. As usual, your results WILL vary. Bruce

[quote name='2.5GT_NJ']Did you have anyone assist you during the install? or a total one man job?[/quote] I did it all myself. It did require a little flexibility as I was lying on my back under the car to hold up the weight of the hitch as I got the first bolt started. Not a big deal if you can walk and chew gum at the same time. Bruce

[quote name='ssaldana']What are the pre-drilled body plugs supposed to be for and how did you find out there were body plugs around the muffler hangers of your LGT?[/quote] They are for mounting a hitch. LOL The Hidden Hitch instructions pointed these out.

Subaru is just concerned that the hitch or trailer tongue are in closer proximity to the rear fascia than on the Outback. I've had no problems with the 'unapproved' installation on my 2000 Legacy GT wagon, and it looks like an easy fit for the 2005 GT wagon we'll pick up next week. Choose your drawbar length wisely and you'll also have a nice parking lot protector

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

• 4 weeks later...
I ordered the hitch that MrVvrroomm ordered from etrailer and I can say I am not having as good an experience as MrVvroomm had. First the instructions were not up to date and second one bolt hole doesn't line up. I found that the Hardware was missing because the instructions call for spacers that were not included. When I realized they were not included emailed etrailer cust service and I went to the etrailer website and downloaded sample instructions for this hitch and the sample directions happened to be Version 2 and I had version 1. So I was sent the wrong directions. The one bolt hole that doesn't lineup is the one that is supposed to go throught the stock rear tow hook. I took a pic of this and I am going to email it to etrailer. I guess I am going to have to send it back. My opinion of Hidden Hitch is that they are crap! Have anyone had this problem b4?

[quote name='MtnSub']I pick up my LegGT wagon week of Nov 8, and my dealer has a hitch waiting for install. The same dealer will not install PINK springs for me, but will install a hitch. I only want hitch for bike rack. I will report when I pick-up car.[/QUOTE] I got the best hitch rack ever from [url]www.performancebike.com[/url]. Check it out at [url]http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17093&subcategory_ID=4411[/url]. I have driven the car 1,000 miles with two bike loaded and it worked great! Best rack I have ever owned! John

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Boosted']I ordered the hitch that MrVvrroomm ordered from etrailer and I can say I am not having as good an experience as MrVvroomm had. First the instructions were not up to date and second one bolt hole doesn't line up. I found that the Hardware was missing because the instructions call for spacers that were not included. When I realized they were not included emailed etrailer cust service and I went to the etrailer website and downloaded sample instructions for this hitch and the sample directions happened to be Version 2 and I had version 1. So I was sent the wrong directions. The one bolt hole that doesn't lineup is the one that is supposed to go throught the stock rear tow hook. I took a pic of this and I am going to email it to etrailer. I guess I am going to have to send it back. My opinion of Hidden Hitch is that they are crap! Have anyone had this problem b4?[/QUOTE] Well, hiddenhitch sent me a new hitch. This one sits about an inch lower than the orginal one they sent me and the one the Mr Vvrrrooomm has. That inch makes it stick out like a sore thumb. I am going to send it back. Did anyone install a hitch other than the Hidden Hitch one? If so please post pics so I can decide which one to order. Thanks

Sorry you're having problems with your hitch fit. I'm totally serious when I say my install took me less than 30 minutes start to finish and it looks perfect. I towed 2 of my atv's on my trailer for about 200 miles and the hitch and the LGT performed flawlessly. I would estimate that the weight of the trailer and 2 atv's was around 1600lbs. Mine fits perfectly. Bruce

Archived