LegacyGT.com

Painted the Stock Radio and Shifter Surround

Zimm

Hey All,

I had been thinking about painting the radio faceplate and shifter surround for some time. I was finally able to source a used faceplate so i could do the work without risking the one I had. I decided to use a satin black paint with a flat clear. It doesn't really matter if you gloss, satin, or flat for the color as the clear decides the finish. I wanted to do something a little different and noticed while I was sanding between coats that I could get a pretty good brushed look with the steel wool. I used the medium wool on the clear after it had dried for about an hour and I am very pleased with the results.

Let me know what you think.

SDC10520.thumb.jpg.7331d6b3ed57b2702ee54e560130c956.jpg

SDC10521.thumb.jpg.3e501b86ab3f99540455a4e75bd3b66c.jpg

SDC10522.thumb.jpg.68efd63c5444078080e01236ff7f3f6c.jpg

SDC10523.thumb.jpg.594e5fa308af0d866ca2d6cbfaf71b33.jpg

The faceplate requires some disassembly. You first take off the circuit board which is held on with about a dozen phillips screws. Then the button can come out. Most are held in with little plastic clips and some (like the rockers) are a kind of sandwich clip. It is pretty obvious once you start to poke around how to remove everything. The only thing I didn't take off was the screen lenses. They appear to be glued in place and I didn't want to break them taking them off. I just carefully masked them off with painters tape. Honestly the biggest challenge for me was properly preping between coats to ensure the paint surface came out right. Not having done much painting before I had to learn as I went.

Honestly the biggest challenge for me was properly preping between coats to ensure the paint surface came out right. Not having done much painting before I had to learn as I went.

The biggest challenge for any good paintjob is prep, prep, prep. You did great! I'm impressed!

I just didn't like the gray that was there. It didn't really match anything else in the car and seemed out of place on the dash.

I love the Spec.B seats. That is one of the main reasons I got the car (6MT being primary). I used the satin black made by Rustolium. It said it can bond to plastics so I went with it. In hindsight it didn't matter too much, you really just need to make sure the surface is properly prepped first. I ended up having to fully strip the paint off the ashtray door twice as the paint wouldn't adhere. After I went to town with some sandpaper and removed the old paint though it stuck like stink.

That looks great! It gives me an idea of what mine is going to look like.

I was going to do this with plastidip this weekend but the can i bought has no ass and wont spray so i gotta take it back and trade it in for a new can. Im gonna do the door pieces as well. I hate this grey they used.

Sent from my phone. Who cares what it is, they all do it now-a-days.

Looks awesome! Mine is pretty scratched up...this would make it look so much nicer. Could you tell us a little more about how you prepped it before paint/sanded it in between coats? I definitly want to do this, just not very familiar with painting stuff.....

• 10 months later...

Archived