LegacyGT.com

5 weeks, 1 rockchip, full-height crack!

Okay... I'm beginning to feel like owning a Legacy is a curse.

I was driving home from work in the late evening (Tuesday night), no traffic, only a few cars here and there... I was just having a sigh of relieve seeing no trucks in the near vicinity (I-5 south from Seattle... Truck haven), when suddenly I get startled by the oh-so-familiar sound of a rock hitting my windshield...

Once my heart started beating again and oxygen pumped into my brain, I began to try and spot where the rock hit... Each time I passed a light, I'd try and look at an angle but nothing... Suddenly, about 5 minutes later, a crack forms right before my eyes! It was right smack on the center of the windshield, coming from just under the windshield wipers!!

So now I'm getting even more pissed... The crack that initially formed was about 4 inches in length, running straight upwards...

I have a 50 miles trek home so I decided to pretend nothing happened and continue relaxing with a little Darkside of the Moon...

A few miles from home, I decided to stop at Walmart to pick up a copy of The Dark Knight on Blu Ray... Was only $24, so it was worth walking into that place...

Anyhow, when I came back out to the car, a SECOND parallel crack had formed!!!! Same length... :mad:

So then I'm driving the last few miles of my stretch home and suddenly the first crack starts to curve towards the second... At this point I'm no longer pissed... Now I'm beginning to feel very mentally and emotionally exhausted and just don't want to think about t his anymore.

I tell my wife, who's car this is btw... And she goes postal. So now I'm having to deal with her being upset.

I called our insurance company in the morning to confirm our deductible and at least I remembered to lower it to $200 during our last renewel, so not so bad...

I called a recommended (by the dealership) glass repair company and left a message. My wife drove the car to her work yesterday.

When I got home last night, I noticed the crack was now halfway up the windshield... This morning, it was ALL the way up past the sunroof!!

The original glass repair place I called never got back to me, so I scheduled an appointment with another place today and will be taking the car in (it's rainy/wet out so it's better to bring it in to their place than them work on it on our driveway).

They said it would either be a PPG or another brand, forget the name... Exact replacement, though (same greenish tint and then the bluish dark band on the top). It will also have the heating element at the bottom.

Sorry I just had to rant a bit... I did a search and found that one long thread regarding how easy these windshields crack. I've owned more than a dozen different cars and this is the first time this has happened!! Hell, my other current car is 6 months old, has 4 rock chips on it, and not a single crack.

Also, my '92 SVX has 10+ rock chips on it... Not a single crack either.

This is ridiculous. :mad:

Yeah, welcome to the club. Both of our '08s have already had replacements. Thankfully, we have full window glass coverage. The installer used the Pilkington brand and we haven't had a problem since.

What I don't understand about Subaru is that they put $150 tires on my 2.5 Limited, but then skimp on the windshield.

It's either that the mounting process is flawed or that the original windshield isn't matching the car correctly and therefore is under stress. A small chip is all it takes for it to get a starting point for a crack.

I think it's under stress as you mention. It would only explain how the crack continued to grow on its own while the car was just sitting.

I'm sure temperature adds to that stress, causing expansion/contraction.

What a crappy windshield assembly/design.

The only other cars I know of that have a similar problem are BMW 3 series.

When I got home last night, I noticed the crack was now halfway up the windshield... This morning, it was ALL the way up past the sunroof!!

I know someone above asked the same thing but i figured i'd also ask. so the crack passed through the roof and into the sunroof? :confused:;)

is the 5'o'clock free crack giveaway?

Thanks to a comment from TPLGT in the other glass crack thread, we'll be using Safelite to fix my wife's 08. Similar story here though. Audible bang as the rock hits the edge of the windshield (pass side) and by the time we got home (20 miles), a two inch crack was headed to the middle of the windshield. Today that crack bisects the passenger's view and hasn't passed the rearview yet. Waiting until Spring to get it fixed in case more dang rocks want to attack.

By the way it's not just the LGT. My STi had to get a new windshield before I'd even made the second payment on it!

Glass crackage must be part of the pride of Subaru ownership...:rolleyes:

Holy crap...past the sunroof? I've never seen a windsheild crack spread across the roof too!

:p

No fun. I replaced the windshied on my wife's Toyota 4Runner. Less than a week later a rock chip and within hours it spread from one end of the windshield to the other.

I now have to replace that windshield along with the one on my car.

:mad::mad::mad:

Archived