LegacyGT.com

OZ Superleggera III Big discount

boostsr20

What is the advantage of a 3-piece over a 1 or 2-piece wheel? Weight? Strength?

or is it primarily aesthetics? Looks like they'd be a beotch to keep clean.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I see that tirerack also has the oz crono evolution in 18x7 +ET48mm at closeout for $169. Weight @ 18.5. Is this a good deal 'cause that puts them in the same price range as Rotas. You think the 7" width is too narrow?

What is the advantage of a 3-piece over a 1 or 2-piece wheel? Weight? Strength?

or is it primarily aesthetics? Looks like they'd be a beotch to keep clean.

SBT

With a 3 piece wheel the manufacturer can use different materials for different parts of the wheel. The overall weight of the wheel is not as important as where the weight is on the wheel when it comes to rotating mass. A wheel with weight closer to the hub will accelerate and stop more easily than one with weight on the outside. A 3 piece allows this and strength factors to be engineered into the wheel.

With a 3 piece wheel the manufacturer can use different materials for different parts of the wheel. The overall weight of the wheel is not as important as where the weight is on the wheel when it comes to rotating mass. A wheel with weight closer to the hub will accelerate and stop more easily than one with weight on the outside. A 3 piece allows this and strength factors to be engineered into the wheel.

I had noticed that the center "hub" was forged and the rim was spun aluminum so your description of the 3-piece manufacturing technique sounds consistent with the end product.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

$320 for a forged OZ is a straight up STEAL. I wonder if it's a typo, that deal is so good. I am tempted to pick up a set.....that is a sweet wheel especially considering they are grey with polished lip.

NAh, I don't think its a typo. They just updated and added a few new wheels for the LGT. I'm still contemplating these...... If only they came in gold.

So far everyone is right on. Overall weight isn't as important as they have placed the majority of the weight close to the hub. Serviceability is made simple when you F-up one part of the wheel.

I ran the transaction through to check the total OTD price. A disclaimer popped up that the wheels were 'first quality but being discontinued so there was no guarantee of being able to source more once sold out'. I suggest to those who may buy them, at that price, order 5 wheels.

I ran the transaction through to check the total OTD price. A disclaimer popped up that the wheels were 'first quality but being discontinued so there was no guarantee of being able to source more once sold out'. I suggest to those who may buy them, at that price, order 5 wheels.

I called them on this. Whole wheels whill not be available. But replacement Pieces (since they are 3 piece) will be available for at LEAST 5 years. Depending on which piece you F up They may be available for a long time to come. They use the outers for other wheels still in production and will for a long time.

So, r u buying a set? I am still on the fence. Just got the nod to order my exhaust....my fiance would flip if I bought both wheels and an exhaust.

Not sure, I am looking at other wheels that I like. Even at 320 a piece they are a tad out of my price range. I don't want to throw anything on a credit card. Most of my other money is tied up right now. I'm on the fence because I really think I can make my money back plus some when they are discontinued......

Archived