LegacyGT.com

autox tire sizes

slimjoe

For you autox-ers out there, if you had the choice between:

245/40/17 Extreme summer tire (ie. Dunlop Direzza Star Spec or Bridgestone RE-01R))

and

225/45/17 R-Comp tire (ie. Kumho V710)

which would you choose and why.

i think the answer is obvious joe. r-comps all the way. what rim do you plan to mount them on? ever consider 245/40/17 for r-comps size?

And go with Hoosiers? I could do that. I was just looking around at prices and going with a 245/35/18? (something around that size) with an 18x8 is just plain expensive.

17x8 is probably the most my budget can afford so it's just whatever I can run on those.

I've actually got a very similar question. I'm considering the move to R-comps next year (16"x6.5" wheels stock) and was wondering whether it would be better to use the 215/40-16's to help with gearing, or 265/45-16's to get that huge contact patch. I know the trend in Stock classes is to jam as much tire onto the wheel as is possible, but would the ability to accelerate faster provided by the smaller (and lighter) combination outweigh the increase in grip?

As for the initial question, I'd definitely go with the R-comps. I haven't tried them yet on the Legacy, but from my experience in other cars, it is well worth it.

And go with Hoosiers? I could do that. I was just looking around at prices and going with a 245/35/18? (something around that size) with an 18x8 is just plain expensive.

17x8 is probably the most my budget can afford so it's just whatever I can run on those.

yeah, do the hoosier thing in that size.

Archived