LegacyGT.com

Oil Leak (Crank/Cam Seals Maybe?) on my '98 2.5GT

harriss2

My '98 2.5GT leaks oil pretty well these days. The oil drips from the timing belt cover, so I am assuming that I need to replace my crank seal or cam seals. Assuming my diagnosis is correct (feel free to tell me if you suspect something else), how difficult is it to replace the timing belt and seals yourself? Has anyone done it that would be willing to share some tips? Is there any harm in NOT replacing any of the seals and just topping off the oil as needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

must be a common problem on th 98. my wife's does the same thing. I was told by a mechanic(checked just to get a laugh):lol: that I should replace all the seals in the front, and the water pump, and the timing belts and, and, and. I feel for the miles, the cost (he says over 700) and the minimal amount of oil it leaks. 1/2 quart between changes and not as much if i don't use synthetic, i don't feel it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to keep the car I would def replace timing belt, cam seals, crank seal, oil pump seal, timing tensioner, water pump...just my 2 cents. I would have done this myself but there are 2 special tools required and I figured I'd pay subaru to keep my scooby running. It can be pricey but again cheaper than a new car.

Just had my timing belt replaced on my '98 outback at 126K. Attempted to do it myself, as I do almost all of my own repairs.

My advice...drive it straight to a trusted repair shop, pay the man to do it, and save yourself the stress. My guy told me it often takes 2 people to do these, one of the hardest they do. Apparently it's the boxer layout, 4 cam gears, main shaft gear, water pump, and hydraulic tensioner. Also, do install a new water pump. They're pretty cheap, and Murphy's law will hit a week after you install the belt, then you'll pay them all over to re-do it.

My wife still refuses to tell me the amount of the bill.

Archived