LegacyGT.com

dumped atf on initial voyage is it toast?

I replaced the head gaskets and went for a drive to get gas tonight when it slipped out of gear and just revd. Upon hooking it up to a chain I saw tranny fluid all over the road. Get it back and the dip stick is dry. I think a hose to the cooler burst or maybe I didn't clamp it - not sure haven't crawled under yet. I've read some posts that say the torque converter slips out and you may be okay upon refill? There was some smoke.

Also it is still running a bit hot. The gauge climbs up to 3/4 then comes back down. While sitting by the road I cranked the heat up and then it cooled down hopefully that is just still a bubble in there.

Any one with any experience? I'm going to try to fill it and see if it will go into gear again first I guess..

I don't have any experience with the atf problem. Fill it back up and see what happens.

As far as the overheating it most likely is an air bubble. It happens to a lot of people. Instead of explaining how to burp the system again here is a recent thread where johnegg posts his method of filling the cooling system: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/which-way-does-thermostat-goi-194048.html

Thanks everyone - I'm feeling better about it. I'm going to drop the pan and replace the filter while I'm at it. I did hook everything back up, it just appears the factory hose clamp got tired on me.

They do that

Especially the shitty pressure clamps

I changed both filters and filled it and it took a little while of shifting forward to reverse to get fluid in the converter, but all seems well.

Dropping the pan on jack stands was pretty unenjoyable. Why are there 20 bolts holding the filter in the tranny? I'm glad you don't have to do it very often.

Archived