LegacyGT.com

Recent Oil consumption?

I checked the oil the other day and it read right at the low mark when the engine was warm as well as cooled off. The last oil change was in august about 2,000 miles ago. I usually get a oil change every 4-5k and have never had a problem with dark or any type of oil consumption until now.

What could be the cause of this sudden change?

I checked the oil the other day and it read right at the low mark when the engine was warm as well as cooled off. The last oil change was in august about 2,000 miles ago. I usually get a oil change every 4-5k and have never had a problem with dark or any type of oil consumption until now.

What could be the cause of this sudden change?

What oil do you use? How many miles? I

I use Valvoline 5w30 about every 4-5k miles. This one has only been 2k miles and the oil is just about all gone, and its never consumed more than maybe 1/2 to 1 quart or so between changes.

I never have been a fan of Valvoline not knocking it or anything but if I were you I would give a different oil a try and track the consumption rates if they level off could be grounds for a more perm change. With oil I dont listen to the horror stories about which brand does what or not for that matter. If you change your oil like you are supposed to and you dont have any containment issues ( leaks) or circulation issue ( clogged banjo fittings oil pump) you wont have oil related problems

It is acceptable to consume 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles. This is an industry wide standard.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems like a good place to ask. Why does these engines use so much oil? I have an '09 2.5i with 7K on it. Its been about 2000 miles since the last oil change, and it seems to be down about half a quart already. I suppose its just a fact of life with these engines, though I've owned and worked on my fair share of foreign and domestic vehicles and none of them went through oil to the extent that these motors seem to.

blackfang mentioned above that 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles is an accepted standard. Is that just with Subarus, or across the board? Are the tolerances that wide in these engines? If any of my previous vehicles had gone through 3 quarts of oil between changes, it would be time for rings or a valve job.

I'm new to the H engines, so maybe an expert can shed a little light on this for me.

blackfang mentioned above that 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles is an accepted standard. Is that just with Subarus, or across the board? Are the tolerances that wide in these engines? If any of my previous vehicles had gone through 3 quarts of oil between changes, it would be time for rings or a valve job.

It is an industry wide standard, meaning not only Subaru, but most auto manufacturers and oil companies:)

My LS1 tends to drink certain 5w30 oils but not others, yet my Cobra wouldn't drink any oil.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I am having oil consumption with my 2.5GT. It has 78k on the clock and is drinking about 1 quart per 1000 miles on the nuts. I have never had oil consumption problems with any of my other subaries. I tried german castrol this time around and the consumption seemed to be worse than when I ran mobil 1.

Yeah I think this is a case by case problem and no advice or suggestion will work for all or any! I use Quaker State 5w30 some say that is the worst oil in the world others dont. i know the book calls for a 5w30 I also know that every 3k miles i change my oil. I also have recorded that im down about 1/2 btwn changes.

Why do people say German Castrol ? Is there a non german version? Sorry just one of those tings you dont know like turbo names :lol: TD05-18G or VF46 or IHI whatever :eek:

German Castol is the 0w-30 weight oil and it is green in color. However, not all 0w-30 Castrol is German Castol so look at the label carefully and look for the Made in Germany label and look at the color of the oil through the side panel to verify that it is green (like the color of coolant). German Castrol is different from the Beligian or US made 0w-30s and is made by magic little green elves in the Black Forest.

German Castol is the 0w-30 weight oil and it is green in color. However, not all 0w-30 Castrol is German Castol so look at the label carefully and look for the Made in Germany label and look at the color of the oil through the side panel to verify that it is green (like the color of coolant). German Castrol is different from the Beligian or US made 0w-30s and is made by magic little green elves in the Black Forest.

This is a common misconception, The elves themselves are actually more orange in appearance. Time has contorted the facts and changed them to green as to match the oil :lol:

German castrol isn't green anymore, its your run of the mill amber like most other motor oils.

Also, your consumption seems about the same as mine Tim. It sucks having a new car that consumes oil, but even the owners manual says its normal.

http://home.comcast.net/~apexigsx/consumption.jpg

Archived