LegacyGT.com

BulletProof-TMIC Mod - LGT, 08+ WRX

• Moderators
If the SS zip ties look clean I'd choose that option. I've never seen the zip ties you're talking about.

Check this out, some great pics of the zip tie use: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3824153&postcount=316

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

If you want gloves near a saw, wear latex or nitrile gloves.

A bare finger that touches a saw will get cut. A gloved finger will get sucked into the saw, followed by the hand, then arm, and possibly more.

This definitely cannot be quoted enough.

Work gloves with any kind of machine equipment is a recipe for disaster.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I got a tool called a clamptite this past week. It makes clamps using stainles steel wire. i am going to try to use this rather than the SS zip ties that are on there right now. I'll report back how it works out.

• Moderators
Option #2 looks good - that's the route I'll go if this occurs in the near future to tide me over until I go with a new TMIC.

Noted. Looks like the zip tie kit will be popular so I'll probably look to cut the pieces "to order" since the zip tie kit pieces will be slightly different (no angles, slightly shorter overall). I will also look into the method for notching the pieces to securely hold the zip ties. Neither should be a problem with producing the kits and the milling work along the length of the pieces will still be completed by the machine shop.

For the BP Mod files go here.

I have provided them on my wife's ftp site. This way they are available to everyone at anytime.

Some of these files have been graciously made by members here. As this project becomes more refined, such as with zipties and the rail modifications to support them, drawings may need to be created/altered to reflect those changes. When that happens, and such files are refined for publication, just contact me and I will place them on the website.

These developments are what I envisioned from the beginning, but better. With the collective mind here at work the BulletProof TMIC Mod has and will continue to evolve to support what I believe is the very best TMIC for the applicable platform, as a Daily Driver.

Way to go LegacyGT.com.

Edited by SeeeeeYa

• 4 weeks later...
My metal zip-tie method. No interference with BPV tube or engine cover.

~$30 total (with 3 SS ties and a bunch of AL channel left over...)

Nevermind the very-cool-but-now-gone heat shield... it came off on it's own in <1 week. Oh well, back to the drawing board there. The end tank must flex much more than I thought.

Those are stainless cable ties. 33" length, trimmed up after install. I have PN's and new channel dimensions I can add later in an edit (papers out in the car). I ran a ~.015" deep, 3/16" wide slot down the length of each rail to capture the SS tie.

The locking feature on the SS ties allows for some slack, so I had to tension and then "set" the ball (read, hit with a hammer to deform housing and lock in-place). You have to feed and form the SS tie around the rails to get a snug fit; it doesn't have to apply force to the rails, it just has to hold them on - any movement of the rails will only tighten the SS ties hold.

I did JB the rails to the IC, but that's not necessary or required, the ties will not fail (100lb load rated). If anything goes wrong in the future I will let everyone know. I'm not too proud to admit failure, but it doesn't happen too often ;) (again, nevermind the heatshield :lol:)

I was going to mock up a binding post method as well, but ran out of motivation. I did come up with a design though, which would use 1 binding post and 1 screw per end (4 total)- which I think would be cleaner and fit better than the threaded rod/washer/acorn nuts. #8-32 binding posts have a 1/8" head profile!! I''l post some PN's for that in an update as well.

-Chad

OTS stg2 - protune ASAP!!

I want I want I want!!!!!!!

• Moderators
I received mine yesterday and installed it this morning. Am I supposed to send that cv joint rebanding tool to anyone?

EDIT: Just make a post in the other thread (the sale thread) that you have a tool available. That way you will have control over deleting the content of that post so that you don't receive any unnecessary PMs once you have shipped the tool to someone else.

Edited by BarManBean

• 4 months later...