LegacyGT.com

Precursors to buying a LGT

Been lurking here a lot lately. Been looking for a car to replace 94 accord. I'm trying to find a good 09 LGT manual with around 60-50k miles on it from a reputable subaru dealership, and I think I have found one in my area...

Question is, I am going from probably the lowest maintenance cost car to a car that requires considerably more maintenance. I'm reading threads about wheel bearings going bad, headgaskets, timing belts, new turbo's, new blocks because of the banjo bolt getting clogged...stuff like that. How much money should I set aside for emergency situations?

I am planning to buy my Subaru from apparently the best Subaru dealship in the Nation, Heuberger Subaru here in Colorado. I am not trusting such a sensitive car to craigslist or even a reseller. Assuming I buy my car there or from some really reputable place, should I have sweat the big stuff?

Also. Any VERY reputable Subaru dealerships here in the Denver area? I'm looking for the creme dela creme of dealerships. Once again I am not trusting my purchase of this car to any place that doesn't know how to fully maintance a LGT and sell me a car I don't have to worry about for a while (aside regular stuff)

WADDYA TALKIN ABOUT?

>:) I am planning as soon as I get the car, I'm getting a full cryotune. But I need the accessport right? The expensive ass accessport?

Also does anybody know the name of one of Heubergers reps? I know he has an account on here with his contact info starting with 719....think his name started with an M or something?

When I was buying my legacy I found that i didn't like dealers. I always went to the subaru ones. I was shocked at how little most dealerships knew about turbo subarus, let alone a 4-7 year old legacy. The dealerships were always over priced.

I would buy/trust a seller that has owned the vehicle for a long time with maintenance records way before id trust a dealer. It seriously amazed me how crappy the cars were and how little the salesmen knew. Most dealers only have things like carfax. Most people around Denver that owns these cars are pretty knowledgeable about them and keep records. Dealers are always trying to hide something. What I'm saying is, the dealers are not the end all be all. I would seriously consider buying an LGT from someone local that has owned it for Awhile.

That being said, I bought my car at a dealer. Mainly because I work there and was able to take the car for a few days to drive and get it looked at. Also this was at a honda dealer. Basically shows that not only subie dealers have the good LGTs. My co-worker actually just bought a lgt wagon from the same honda dealer. Both of our cars are in prestine condition.

Of course this is all null/void if you are going to finance. Then definitely go to the dealers. But you shouldn't be afraid to look at non-subaru dealers.

In my experience dealers were actually cheaper then private sales (KBB really overvalues these cars for East Coast).

Expect to have to replace the following parts (parts only no labor in cost)

Wheel bearings - $400

Front End Links - $60

Front Lower Control Arm rearward bushings - $20 for oem, $130 for much nicer and longer lasting Whitelines/Avo's

Turbo - $300 used on the forums

Catless Uppipe - $70 used

Timing Belt & Idlers & Water Pump - $250

Now if the previous owner took good care your turbo should still be fine, my 150k mile FXT had spotless banjo filters, I still pulled them though.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Just don't buy a car form Denver Auto Company. Carfax showed it as a repo that they got from auction and only one previous owner. I believe the turbo blew up with original owner and they didn't have the funds to repair so he prob stopped making payments and let the bank keep it. I am almost positive DAC bought at aution had their "mechanics" fix it up before they sold it. The internals were completely butchered and the turbo had been replaced with a vf46 which the Subaru dealership I had check it out didn't even catch.

Just make sure you get a carfax and look for anything odd like that.

When I was buying my legacy I found that i didn't like dealers. I always went to the subaru ones. I was shocked at how little most dealerships knew about turbo subarus, let alone a 4-7 year old legacy. The dealerships were always over priced.

I would buy/trust a seller that has owned the vehicle for a long time with maintenance records way before id trust a dealer. It seriously amazed me how crappy the cars were and how little the salesmen knew. Most dealers only have things like carfax. Most people around Denver that owns these cars are pretty knowledgeable about them and keep records. Dealers are always trying to hide something. What I'm saying is, the dealers are not the end all be all. I would seriously consider buying an LGT from someone local that has owned it for Awhile.

That being said, I bought my car at a dealer. Mainly because I work there and was able to take the car for a few days to drive and get it looked at. Also this was at a honda dealer. Basically shows that not only subie dealers have the good LGTs. My co-worker actually just bought a lgt wagon from the same honda dealer. Both of our cars are in prestine condition.

Of course this is all null/void if you are going to finance. Then definitely go to the dealers. But you shouldn't be afraid to look at non-subaru dealers.

This... dealers trading in a used car won't know its history. You can't meet the previous owner, ask them questions and see if you trust him/her to have taken good care of your car. What do most people do when their car is falling apart...trade it in, and than it ends up on a dealer lot. Certainly not saying this is always the case, but you'll have better luck buying from someone who knows the history of the car and can show you records. Maintenance on this type of car is key to avoid ending up with a lemon.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived