LegacyGT.com

Break-In Advice

My fiance's car has about 600 miles on it, so not out of the break-in period yet. We are taking a road trip, about 150 miles each way, and are debating taking my car vs hers. Do you think we'd be OK doing the steady highway speeds, cruising around 70 or so for the 3 hour trip. Or is she better off finishing the break-in period locally, where there is a mix of local and highway?

TIA

-A

you'll be fine either way, you're engine is broken in. i considered my new built motor broken in before 200mi and it was on the dyno doing pulls at 350mi. i could tell by listening to the piston slap though :lol:...you won't have that though don't worry

I could be wrong, but I could swear I read somewhere on here that the break in period was the first 500 miles in which you are supposed to vary rpm and not go above 4k rpm. When in doubt read your owners manual.

The initial break in period is pretty much done. Now you need to increase the amount of pedal you give it and work your way up to running it hard over the next 500 miles. During the roadtrip just don't use the cruise control. You will still speed up and slow down enough as to not effect the "break in" of the engine. Just do a little speed up and coast down when you can get away with it.
Let's kick this pig!

Archived