LegacyGT.com

losing coolant?

c-lo

recently I had the water pump and timing belt replaced. during the job the mechanic noticed one of the coolant tubes was rusted and needed to be replaced. ended up having to order it and brought the car back for him to do the work.

appeared there was air in the lines because the level in my coolant resevoir would fluctuate. I ended up having to add a bit while I waited for the tube I ordered to come in.

However, I did notice a coolant smell after driving the car for a bit. so now I'm wondering if there's a leak somewhere....perhaps from the water pump install? the only thing is, there is no sign of coolant leaking on the ground, anywhere. but I can stick my nose down around where the water pump would be and smell coolant.

thoughts? I don't know what to look for here. have to call my mechanic on monday again.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

If any coolant got on the engine or exhaust from when it was drained it will smell like coolant for a couple days especially when it gets hot. It's normal for the coolant level to change if there was any air in the lines as the air works its way out of the system.

As long as you don't notice coolant on the ground anywhere and the level doesn't continue to drop after topping it off a couple times you should be fine. You might want to check your oil and make sure the level hasn't risen and that it doesn't look like it has any coolant in it just in case.

I've done that after the first job, will check it again now that we've put the new tube on.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Check for oil in the radiator as well as oil in the turbo coolant tank. If you find it in the coolant tank for the turbo and not in the radiator, your turbo may be on its way out.

Another option is leaking head gasket.

Another location (I had this) is the tube leading the oil cooler could have a slight drip and allow coolant to drip right on to the exhaust.

Check for oil in the radiator as well as oil in the turbo coolant tank. If you find it in the coolant tank for the turbo and not in the radiator, your turbo may be on its way out.

Another option is leaking head gasket.

Another location (I had this) is the tube leading the oil cooler could have a slight drip and allow coolant to drip right on to the exhaust.

that's the metal tube you see when looking straight down I think. yeah, just had that sucker replaced.

also just had the turbo inspected and it's good....so that's a no go.

thanks for the suggestions though.

so I had this coolant tube replaced last week. I asked if he remembered to burp the system when he refilled it. He said yes. He said he saw no signs of leaks anywhere and was thinking that it might be a head gasket issue starting.

thinks it might be a pretty small leak that seals up when the block is cold and small enough leak that it just burns off when the block is hot.

but that seems like a lot burning off though judging by the levels in the coolant tank no? I mean if the coolant tank is full and within 4 days or so it drops down to low, I'd think I'd be seeing smoke coming off the engine from coolant hitting it or something.

Crawl under your car with a flashlight and start looking for any evidence of leaking. It might also be leaking externally when in motion?

Check the lower rad hose. Mine would leak on the hot exhaust piping and would evaporate instantly so I would never see any evidence of anything being wet. And just like you, I could smell it.

will do that tomorrow. I'm going to do an oil change before our trip to NC. this will give me an opportunity to check for coolant in the oil as someone had suggested.

I still smell some coolant burnoff and the level does drop but hardly goes from Full to mid-level once every 3 months?

According to my checklist there is nothing wrong that I can tell:

-turbo is fine (no shaft play)

-no spots anywhere

-no traces of oil in the coolant or coolant in oil

I'm not worrying about it. Yours however IS going somewhere.

You still losing coolant even after you burped the system ?

Thing shrink when they get cold, a crack would leak when it was cold and may be seal as it warmed up.

You may want to have the HC hydro-carbon test done. It's a sniffer that they wave over the radiator with the cap off and the engine hot. If it senses HC it will let you know, that a bad HG.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i think i got all the air out. seems like fluid levels have leveled off and I'm not smelling any coolant. either that or I'm used to it. :lol:

driving the car to NC on saturday. will bring some fluid with me just in case, but I think I'll be ok.

will put the car in the shop when i get back.

hopefully will do an oil change and will be ruling out fluid in the engine. I highly doubt it.

hose clamp looks to be bad around the large coolant hose going into the water pump. coolant residue going down the front and onto the exhaust. hose still looks good

headed over to the parts store today to pick up a new clamp and put it on when I do my oil change.

That's exactly what I had going on too

I bought a hose clamp and that helped but I still replaced the hose when it came time to do the timing belt just to be safe. It felt too soft and also partially deformed.

One more thing.

Virtually every Legacy owner I have checked with here in our club has to top off their coolant, more often in the wintertime. Per the dealer, this is normal, it evaporates.

There is a small hole in the overflow tank right by where it clips at the top. I used to have to top off my coolant about once every 1-2 months in the winter.

I chose to tape off that hole and the problem has almost entirely gone away.

Not sure what purpose that hole serves?

Carlo, good thought about carring a bottle oc coolant with you.

For the first few weeks with the new engine I carried fluids with me.

It's nice not having to top the oil level of every few day's, I'm glad I put the new short block in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

new clamp is on. so far all is dry leaving the engine run for a few minutes. will take it for a drive in a bit. seems no air in the system either.

Archived