LegacyGT.com

97 BD5 gt almost overheating

So today when I was driving to the liquor store I noticed that when I got back home that my engine temp was almost to overheating. Last time I checked the coolant it looked like it was fine. I haven't done anything yet to test it just though I would get everyone's opinion on what can be causing it. Also noticed that when the fans turn on only one turns on. Thanks for the help!

I haven't checked anything yet because when I got back home it was almost dark out so I will check tomorrow. I'm not too worried about it since when I get paid I'm buying a timing belt kit that comes with a water pump and since I'm doing the water pump I'm replacing the thermostat too. You think that might be the cause of it?

You think that might be the cause of it?

no.

not unless you recently installed an after market t-stat.

or did a drain and fill improperly.

it is either a coolant leak , drip,

or bad head gaskets.

look for drips under the car,

park over a piece of clean cardboard at the end of the day,

and let it idle.

look for ''gunk'' in the radiator overflow bottle.

Well I think that it is the thermostat because I will be driving and it won't overheat and then out of nowhere the engine temp will just spike. Last time it did I touched the radiator cap and the cap was cold not hot. Checked it like 5 mins later and it was hot. Also my overfill had these flakes in it.

IMG_3217.thumb.jpg.068998b644c8491505cab8760537e301.jpg

Okay so, today overheating when I was driving around. I pulled over to check everything. Radiator cap is cold and same with the radiator on that side. Where the upper radiator hose is the hose is burning hot and the radiator is hella hot on that side. I beginning to think that it is the head gaskets but it's the radiator that is clogged. I know that the clogged radiator can blow the head gaskets. Almost when it was at temp and running the bubbles are not in my overflow tank.

Archived