LegacyGT.com

Tool required for 5EAT ATF drain plug

You will need a 10mm hex for the back 2 differential plugs. A T-70 torx bit for the front differential plug. and a 8mm hex bit for the ATF drain plug.

Spray some penetrating oil on the bolts the night before to make your life easier.

The rear diff is pretty straight forward, unbolt the fill plug, then the drain plug. Once it's all drained, bolt up the drain plug. Both had crush washers on mine, so get those from the dealer if you want. I used the old ones though and they're not leaking. But if I knew they were there, I would've got new ones. Use a pump to fill the rear diff until its overflowing. Then bolt up the fill plug and that's done.

For the front diff, use the T-70 torx to open the drain plug, and for this one you're gonna want to measure what comes out. I used a cheap bucket I found at walmart that has measurement lines by the quart on the side, and dumped the drain pan into the bucket to see how much. After it's drained, plug it back up. This bolt had a crush washer on it as well. Put in as much new diff oil as what you took out through the diff oil dipstick tube. I used the Mobil 1 synthetic 75W90 and it took like 2.6 quarts for the front and back.

For the ATF, use your 8mm hex to unbolt that and drain with the same procedure as the front diff. Measure what comes out, and put the plug back in. I did have a new crush washer for this one, because I knew one was there. Put new ATF fluid in the ATF dipstick tube, however much you took out. When I did mine, a little over 4 quarts came out. I'm going to do the ATF again this week and next week, and I figure if around the same comes out both times then most of the fluid should be replaced by the third time. I used the Subaru ATF-HP as the fluid for this.

Let me think what else :rolleyes: The car should be level for filling, and for draining I just manipulated the height of the corners to help drain out whatever I was draining at the time. Fluids should be warm when draining. So I drove around some before doing the differentials. Then I drove it around again before doing the ATF. Get you some latex or whatever gloves, and shop towels. A long flexible funnel works good for filling the dipstick tubes.

I guess that's all I can think of, but you can ask whatever, because we have the same car, and I just did mine last weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
If switching to amsoil ATF, is it ok to do a regular flush with 4qts amsoil then drive a bit and do a second flush. Will the amsoil be ok mixing with the few qts of oem subaru ATF remaining in the transmission?

I felt a slight jerk on my tranny a while back. I bought the amsoil atf and did a drain/fill twice. After the first time, I drove the car for about 10 miles and then repeat it the second time. The tranny has been running strong and better since. I flush the front and rear differential with royal purple at the same time as well.

Would it be okay to do a ATF flush?? Low pressure of course. Or is this bad for the transmission? I have heard many different things.

I'm fuzzy on this myself. I have no idea.

There are many different answers. Safest is to let the trans pump out fluid under its own power, and push in fresh fluid (low pressure) through the other end of the cooler plumbing. I just do it at home, engine on to pump fluid out of a cooler hose, then shut off engine and refill ATF via dipstick tube. This is so easy with a buddy, I don't know why you would ever pay to have it done any other way, unless you don't do any mechanical work yourself, or have no friends to start/stop the engine for you.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...