LegacyGT.com

Door Skin/sheet metal too thin??

People,

If anyone is like me they wash their car very often. I am frequntly at eye level with all areas of my beauiful Roo. I'm wonering if anyone else has noticed slight creases around the edge of each door. It seems like the door metal is very thin and opening and closing the doors has kinda had a negative effect on the look. (barely noticable but I can see it) Also, I have a bump in the driver door right around the handle, I have no idea who did it, it may have been from an idiot in a parking lot. Anway, this is my first Jap car, always had Chevy's b4. I got my Leg brand new, put 26K on it thus far, had it a year, runs awesome, super fast and quiet, totally stock. My only beef is perhaps the thin sheet metal doors. But I do have kids, no telling how rough they are when I'm not looking.

Anyone feelin me on this issue?

Guest heightsgtltd
I'm feelin you Dawg. There are many threads on here about how shitty the paint is and how easy it is to dent or ding the sheet metal.

I'm feelin you Dawg. There are many threads on here about how shitty the paint is and how easy it is to dent or ding the sheet metal.

Did you just turn into the guy from American Idol? :lol:

http://popwatch.ew.com/photos/uncategorized/154541__randy_l.jpg

X

---

^ Well their pacific blue sucks... my g/f's Yaris has way more paint problems than the Leggy...

I have noticed what looks like the smallest possible dents from someone opening their door into mine. Further inspection reveals absolutely no imperfections in the surface. It almost seems like an optical illusion. Since you have to be in exactly the right position with exactly the right lighting (some sort of reflected straight line crossing it so you can see the break), I'm not too worried about it.

Keep in mind I never park next to anyone... I really don't think it's due to door dings.

I think the opposite, cars are getting MUCH heavier. There used to be LOTS of cars weighing in the 2200-2500 lb range. Now anything less than 3500 lbs might be considered 'light'. Lots of motor driven what-nots, pollution and safety thingamabobs, etc...

FHI has tried to mitigate the portliness with the use of more aluminum body parts, and probably thinning the sheetmetal is part of this.

In general, Japanese cars have always used thinner sheet metal than US cars, in my experience.

My previous Nissan, Honda and my current Subaru all had/have thin sheet metal and crappy paint. On the other hand my ex-Audi and wife's ex-dodge were completely the opposite.

I think it definately has something to do w/ Jap cars.....

Thin sheet metal=light car=speed.

My mom hates how light the forester feels she says.. she feels like the car is a "piece of tin" as she called it.. but I told her if you start adding weight then kiss your decent gas millage goodbye.. sounds like the people I hear all the time willing to change something then when it's worst in another area (gas millage) then they wont admit you were right.

My previous Nissan, Honda and my current Subaru all had/have thin sheet metal and crappy paint. On the other hand my ex-Audi and wife's ex-dodge were completely the opposite.

I think it definately has something to do w/ Jap cars.....

Have a 98 Dodge Dakota and had a 99 Chrysler LHS and both ahd Excelent paint jobs. the dakota has been through a HARD 113,000 miles as it had my brother from 0 miles to 50 somthing aged 16 to 18 and me for the remainder of miles from 16 to now and a good wash/wax minus a few scratches from off roading and bushes it shines like the day we brought it home

• 1 month later...
I got a nice sized dent on the top part of my rear door right above the crease in the sheet metal. I took it to a dent guy and he said that Subarus are known for thin sheet metal and can be dented just closing your door too hard (ie. pushing it closed after it closed partially).

Subaru definitely uses thinner sheetmetal and paint. I can't speak to the Legacy, but my Saab 9-2x was really poor quality (as my current Honda is).

My main concern with it is this: How many 10 year old Subaru's do you know that have good looking paint?

I can point to Volvo's and Audi's that, with proper care, still look good. But I can't do the same for too many Subaru's...

That being said, my mother-in-law has a two-tone 2001 Outback. Cream colored paint. Still looks great after years of neglect. Garage kept and low mileage mostly suburban driving, but still.

My old 95 Volvo 850, black paint, could be cleaned up beautifully. My father's 97 Porsche Boxster (deep blue) looks almost new (better cared for) after a detail. The 98 BMW Z3 I drove today (purple ) looks fantastic.

I think those companies have better paint procedures, use more paint, and perhaps less environmentally sound paint :)

As for sheetmetal....I've noticed that cars like my current 06 Honda's sheetmetal is so thin that it's more likely to "crease", whereas thicker metal will resist creasing and just get dings. My observation at least.

Joe

Good paint job = Toyota.

Even the Yaris has wicked paint quality.

Are you kidding me?! Ever look at the new Rav 4?!? I know plastic and metal are hard to match but the shade difference between the metal and plastic is so off its embarrassing. I wouldnt own one if you paid me.

Yeah, subie paint is not the best, but at least (on my car anyway) they give you a ton of clear to work with. Toyota, Honda, and even Chevrolet are much better on the average. The gloss on newer Toyotas is absolutely phenomenal.

As an aside to the OP, 'Jap' is considered to be a ethnic slur to most people of Japanese decent. Not trying to be the PC Police, just dropping some knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

Archived