LegacyGT.com

will they ever make a new legacy GT

dsizer89

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not holding my breath, though I'd like to see one. I think the Ford Mondeo/Fusion proves that you can serve the mainstream appliance segment while successfully holding onto some sport sedan appeal, and offering a true performance variant.

It seems the Impreza is Subaru's performance platform now, but I understand that the 2017 Impreza is the first of the new global platform cars which the next-gen Legacy should also belong to, so I hope the future holds good things.

They never stopped making the LGT. They simply made the wrx bigger and the Legacy more Toyota Camry like.

Have you been in a new WRX lately?

Yes- it's tiny and you haven't got a clue if you're trying to imply it's close to the size of the Legacy.

The WRX is about the size of the 4th gen Legacy - not the 5th or 6th! It's better (in terms of space) than the older Impreza's, but it's still small in the back compared to modern family sedans.

I am guessing the 2.5i Sport is about all they are going to release in the near term... too bad they don't offer the sport trim in the 3.6R. I think that would sell quite well at $28k or so...

Yes- it's tiny and you haven't got a clue if you're trying to imply it's close to the size of the Legacy.

I have no clue?

2005 legacy GT

SEDAN

Wheelbase: 105.1

Overall Length 186.2

Width: 68.1

Height: 56.1

Headroom front/rear: 39.5/36.5

Headroom front/rear w/ sunroof: 37.5/36.5

Legroom front/rear: 44.1/33.9

EPA Interior volume 93.1cf

EPA Cargo volume 11.4cf

Track: front/rear 58.9/58.7

2016 WRX

MEASUREMENT

WRX

STI

overall length

180.9"

180.9"

overall width

70.7'

overall width with mirrors folded out

78.9'

79.5 including turn signals

overall height

58.1'

58.1"

wheelbase

104.3"

track front/rear

60.2/60.6

60.2/60.6"

ground clearance, at exhaust pipe

4.9"

4.9"

angle of approach

13.5*

13.5*

angle of departure WRX 16.1*

Premium, Limited 16.2*

16.2*

Interior Headroom front/rear - with moonroof

37.2"/37.1"

37.2/37.1"

Interior Headroom front/rear - without moonroof 39.8/37.1"

39.8/37.1"

Interior shoulder room front/rear

55.6/54.2"

55.6/54.2"

Interior Legroom front/rear 43.3/35.4"

43.3/35.4"

Cargo trunk volume, rear seats up

12cf seats up 12cf seats up

Passenger volume, without moonroof

96.9 cf

96.9cf

Passenger volume, with moonroof

93.1cf

93.1cf

coefficient of drag

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/wrxsti/wrxsti2016.html#dimensions

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I'm not holding my breath, though I'd like to see one. I think the Ford Mondeo/Fusion proves that you can serve the mainstream appliance segment while successfully holding onto some sport sedan appeal, and offering a true performance variant.

look at sales numbers the LGT was never a strong seller.

What does a 2005 model have to do with anything?

The OP said will they make a NEW, not remake a 2005 GT.

So your comparison to a 11 year model has no bearing or meaning in a post about new Legacy GTs.

Hence the reason I said you have no clue, who would think you're talking about a 2005 in a post about NEW ones.

I get you all love the 4th gen, but it's 2016, it's not coming back try to let it go already.

Sport wagons don't sell, cause can't carry 2.5 kids plus stuff.

Just throw in a high performance car only available as a wagon and people won't care, especially if it has better performance than competitors in the segment.

People didn't care about the Impreza until the STi came around. Before that it was a grandma car.

453747.png

An awd turbo wagon with 6mt that carries 5 adults and their gear for a weekend? why would you buy that instead of an suv? Subaru already has a toy car (sti). The legacy has been changed to an awd camry and sells better than ever.

The lgt sold 227 cars its last year. Pretty much the kiss of death when you are deciding whether to build another performance oriented legacy.

In the legacy world, the 4th gens were the cool kids. The cars still had an identity different than Toyota and performance features.

No one walks into a Subaru dealer looking for a performance oriented legacy. you would buy an impeza or sti. At least in the usa.

The levorg was supposed to be the next "wagon". Subaru got deposits from usa customers to buy them. No cars ever showed up. Kiss of death for the lgt has already happened....

Just throw in a high performance car only available as a wagon and people won't care, especially if it has better performance than competitors in the segment.

People didn't care about the Impreza until the STi came around. Before that it was a grandma car.

Cadillac built one. It didn't sell. Of course it didn't cost 35k either.

i was wondering if they will make a new legacy gt and when

Never the Legacy while refined from the bloated BM, will never see the likes of "Performance". I think the car is great looking and while the H6 isnt the best on fuel it offers something like performance but i wouldnt hold your breath for a low mount turbo variant.

:)

Subaru's mistake with the 5th Gen GT was not offering an auto in the US market, land of slushboxes. Interestingly, the manual wasn't even available in the JDM market and scarce in the AUDM and EDM markets. How else do you explain 25% fewer cars made the second year and 50% less than that in the final year. It would be like Toyota suddenly making the Camry V6 in a manual only and wondering why the sales dropped off steeply in a year or two.

Subaru's mistake with the 5th Gen GT was not offering an auto in the US market, land of slushboxes. Interestingly, the manual wasn't even available in the JDM market and scarce in the AUDM and EDM markets. How else do you explain 25% fewer cars made the second year and 50% less than that in the final year. It would be like Toyota suddenly making the Camry V6 in a manual only and wondering why the sales dropped off steeply in a year or two.

I don't think the 5th gen GT got a 6MT option in EDM. At least I've never come across a ROM for one and I had several enquiries about manual swaps. I've also seen very few sedans compared to the ubiquitous wagons, so that might not have been a smart move by SoA to only carry the sedan.

Clearly the Levorg is the sporty wagon platform going forward but in FB16 form with CVT it's a slow, thirsty dog of a car. I know many people who traded a BR9 for one and deeply regret that now. In Russia it's become popular to do EJ255 swaps in Levorgs.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

GT wagons would have sold like hot cakes here in the US. SOA really screwed the pooch with their marketing research on that one. 90% of us 5th Gen GT guys would be driving Wagons if they had been available including myself. I was cross shopping the TSX wagon when I was buying and I couldn't find one in a manual, only sedans, so relegated to a sedan, I opted for the more powerful car instead.

GT wagons would have sold like hot cakes here in the US. SOA really screwed the pooch with their marketing research on that one. 90% of us 5th Gen GT guys would be driving Wagons if they had been available including myself. I was cross shopping the TSX wagon when I was buying and I couldn't find one in a manual, only sedans, so relegated to a sedan, I opted for the more powerful car instead.

Majority of 2014 WRXs were sold as wagons n they still decided to kill it. Not sure they care as they are still making as ton of money

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Not sure they care as they are still making as ton of money

Well that's the thing - Subaru is not having any difficulty selling their cars. Folks can argue all they want about they should do this or it's dumb for them not to do that, but the folks at Subaru who are deciding what to actually make seem to be hitting the mark. Folks may prefer a wagon, as an example, but if they are still going to buy the sedan, why would Subaru worry about it? They'd care if the car would only sell as a wagon, or would sell substantially better (and if you are already selling everything you make as quickly as you can make it, there really isn't a "substantially better" to worry about...) - they are sort of in the position where for every buyer who won't buy a WRX unless it's a wagon, there are multiple others who will. You can't please everyone - and odds are, that's not what their strategy is about.

The current WRX is about the same size as the 4th gen LGT, so if that size works for you, buy that. For me, the WRX available when I bought my 5th gen LGT was too small - I had to test fit the things I need to put in the trunk (mostly medical equipment for my daughter) and it would not fit in the WRX, but it fit fine in the Legacy. Would I have bought the wagon if it was available? Coming from an 02 WRX wagon, I probably would have, but that didn't change whether or not I was buying the car.

GT wagons would have sold like hot cakes here in the US. SOA really screwed the pooch with their marketing research on that one. 90% of us 5th Gen GT guys would be driving Wagons if they had been available including myself.

So they would have sold 200 of them in 2012 :lol: that sounds about right with the production of other wagons.

Majority of 2014 WRXs were sold as wagons n they still decided to kill it. Not sure they care as they are still making as ton of money

According to Subaru press release of the 2015, the hatch/sedan breakdown for WRX line was ~50/50.

It doesn't change the fact that they made almost none of the 5th gen with the GT package. One could argue that they basically stopped building the LGT after the 4th gen.

And that would actually make sense, since the 5th gen was always intended to compete with the growing Camry, Accord, and even the likes of the Ford Taurus. Of the segment that it's designed to compete in, the Taurus is about the only one that has a "Sport" variant in the SHO - and even that isn't a comparison since the 3.5 Ecoboost would never be compared to the 2.5T motor in a Legacy.

So really, it's still a fair comment to say they never stopped making it since they really have kept making effectively the same car. And in saying that, he's basically answering your question by saying "No, probably not ... they already have a sporty/performance variant that fills the part of the customer base that they feel they can profitably satisfy."

But SO SORRY it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear. :icon_roll

Archived