LegacyGT.com

Battery doesn't want to live, what to do??

Hey guys, my wife is telling me that my Legacy is killing the battery. She said that she didn't drive the car for a couple of days, and she went to unlock it, and the locks wouldn't work, the car wouldn't turn over. She jumped it with our other car, and it was fine for a day. She goes out to start it again like a day or so later, and nothing, completely dead. So she bought a new battery, and it was fine for a day. The next day, its dead again, completely dead, nothing works. Any recommendations? Is it possible for an alternator to drain a new battery without even running? I'm in Afghanistan and I'm trying to trouble shoot the problem over here to eliminate an unneeded Subaru Dealership rip off bill. Any help would be very much appreciated. Also, the radio does flicker and the illumination setting numbers on the dash would frequently change from like 4-6, at least when I drove it months ago. This would happen for like 2 years, but the battery never died, and no problems occurred. So I'm not exactly sure what my wife has done since I left. Thanks again guys for your help in advance.

You know Rao i'm pretty sure that she would notice that, but I'll ask her anyways. Thanks for the input and I've been trying to teach her everything I know when I'm not gone, but I actually do hope it's something simple like that, but I highly doubt it.

alternator problems??
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

You know Rao i'm pretty sure that she would notice that, but I'll ask her anyways. Thanks for the input and I've been trying to teach her everything I know when I'm not gone, but I actually do hope it's something simple like that, but I highly doubt it.

You would be surprised. I get calls every day from owners who have had their car for years and couldn't figure that out.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

You def have some type of draw on the system. With what you described going on with the radio maybe you should start by pulling the radio fuse and see what happens. I have seen more radios than alternators cause an ignition off draw.

I have seen a small few Subaru's with a Subaru XM radio have an intermittent draw and killed batteries.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Well I keep telling her to take it to Advance after she calls them to let them know whats up. I can't do anything over here, and she can't do much considering her watching our two kids, soooo that's why I keep telling her to take it to get tested. She isn't a blonde either, she actually knows a good bit about cars, from what I've taught her. Thanks for all the input. The car has over 46,000 miles on it, so she's just getting burnt out from the tires taking a poop, battery, our other car has the same mileage, so it's just hitting her from both sides of the garage so to speak.

Archived