LegacyGT.com

ACT clutch install trouble

suds2250

Hi everyone need some help/advice. I cannot get my new clutch to disengage. I had to replace the shortblock so I went ahead and replaced the stock clutch with a 06 WRX flywheel and ACT clutch. Started the car up and tried to engage reverse and it will not go into gear. I cannot shift into any gear. With the engine off and clutch pedal in I can select any gear. When I put the car in gear and try to start the car will move. I bled the slave cylinder, and have adjusted to pedal length to the max. Still no luck. I read on here about a misagligned pilot bearing could keep the clutch from disengaging. My pilot bearing was already installed with the WRX flywheel, so I don't understand how it can be misaligned.

Does anyone have an idea what I did wrong?

335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

Are you SURE it was a clutch for an 06 WRX?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 1 month later...
OK, I need the help of anyone who has installed the 06 WRX flywheel and an ACT clutch. I can't believe it has been this long, but we have still not been able to get the clutch to work. As I said above, I rechecked the installation of the clutch and everything was fine. (disk is not backwards). Bled the clutch, still not disengaging. replaced the slave cylander, and bled some more. Still not disengageing. I threw in the towel and towed the car to a local subaru shop late july. He tried bleeding, no luck. He dropped the tranmission, verified all parts are correct, reinstalled the transmission and replaced the clutch master cylinder, and bled. Guess what, STILL NOT DISENGAGING. Its as if the clutch fork is not pushing the TOB far enough. Does anyone have any insights what we are missing?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help KM580. We diagnosed the issue. Broken pressure plate diaphragm. The springs looked level, but if you look really close and you can see three are slightly lower that the others. Not really sure how it broke, nor did I hear of this happening much. Guess I'm just a lucky guy.

Hot spot from disk dragging/disengagement problem.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/reldusj/004.jpg

Crack

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/reldusj/007.jpg

I had a similar problem a while back wih my '81 Trans Am, I put a brand new clutch in and found that the diaphragm was collapsed, was not happy about having to do it all over again.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

I had my ACT clutch, PP and LWFW installed last week. Seems you just got unlucky with that PP. I am pretty happy with mine and I hardly notice any chatter most people claim under deceleration around 2-3K RPM. If anything, I just hear a faint buzz but I have to turn down the radio all the way and listen consciously.

Hope you get yours fixed soon. Is the vendor giving you a new PP & clutch?

Shipped back to ACT for inspection. Right now, I'm not seeing any issue with them not honoring the warrenty. However, I did learn they do not cover the labor for dropping the transmission a second time. :mad:

I had my ACT clutch, PP and LWFW installed last week. Seems you just got unlucky with that PP. I am pretty happy with mine and I hardly notice any chatter most people claim under deceleration around 2-3K RPM. If anything, I just hear a faint buzz but I have to turn down the radio all the way and listen consciously.

Hope you get yours fixed soon. Is the vendor giving you a new PP & clutch?

That buzz might be the TOB...A good amount of us including myself with this setup have experienced a squeaking or chattering noise from the TOB. Easy fix was to use a return spring on the clutch fork to keep the TOB firm against the PP.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Archived