LegacyGT.com

Anyone tried this?

Take a look at these two threads...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/avo-turbokit-install-146784.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/avo-turbo-kit-1000-miles-later-162583.html

I met with Paul Hansen from AVO this past Thursday in Seattle, and his Outback 2.5i Turbo is running great (sounds good too) with no problems thusfar. He said there are about 10 of the 2.5i turbo kits out there so far, with more to come. I think there might be about 3-5 people on the boards here who have done this mod...they can chime in on how things are for them so far.

Sadly, I wasn't snagging the 2.5i turbo kit last week, but I did pick up a set of mufflers. Get those installed, and along with the AVO filter and the throttle controller I'll be at Stage 1 for the 2.5i. :)

I kind of understand people's belief that the engine's will immediately blow if you add a turbo kit to the car. That really stem's from the fact that other than us, nobody makes a turbokit for the 2.5 n/a models. So until we made one for the current cars, what people were doing was taking WRX manifolds/uppipe/turbo and frankensteining a system together. After struggling through notching front crossmembers to get it to fit or replacing them ones from a turbo model, working out from scratch how to get oil and water through the turbo (hint, n/a motors are *not* just turbo motors with higher compression), if they finally got it to run, they ran into the other issues.

The main one is that the actuator on a stock turbo setup is set for 8psi minimum. A bit beyond what the n/a motor can take, turbocharged, especially since a lot of those people didn't even run a computer or tune the car. Not to mention upgrading the injectors/fuel pump. And if you ever looked at the stock fuel and ignition map for an n/a, boy, that's not turbo friendly.

The cost issue is something I also somewhat understand, because everybody keeps comparing to the cost of buying the parts used out of the junkyard. Go back and price all those parts *new*, however, and the story will change a bit. I think quite a few people assume that's all we are doing, as well - just using oem parts and calling it a kit.

But take a look at the photo of the kit below:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/images/images_big/05turbokit_1.jpg

Note that there's not a single OEM Subaru part in there. In fact, nothing in there is off anybodies shelf. We manufacture the uppipe, downpipe, turbo, fmic kit and all. Because we designed it, we cut through a lot of hassles. Bolting the turbo in? You unbolt the pipe between the exhaust manifold and the midpipe on the exhaust, bolt the new uppipe downpipe up to those, and bolt the turbo in. Done. The FMIC will likely take longer, because, well, it's an FMIC.

And finally, longevity. If this was the only kit we've made, I can understand that. But the first kit we made for the Subaru's was for the 1999-2004 RS Impreza, and that debuted back in 2002. The only reason that's not major news is because it's old news. Kits have been in cars for a *long* time now, and there are several people that have had them running for 5+ years. This is just for Subaru models, we've been making turbo kits for cars for going on 39 years now. As for this kit - well, the first car it was prototyped on is my 2007 Outback with 180,000 miles on it, and it's almost at the 200,000 mile mark over a year later. The engine still hasn't been opened up, and it's still running strong. It's not difficult to do - change the oil frequently, like you would with a turbo model, and keep up with the maintenance like everybody should with higher mileage cars (and low mileage as well!).

I'm not saying our turbokit is for everyone. But if you want to talk about horsepower per dollar, well, it can't be beat for N/A models. You can spend several thousands on cams, exhaust, pulleys and everything else and end up with 20hp, or just go straight for nearly double the stock hp. It's your choice.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.facebook.com/avoturboworld

Terrible idea.

Not only is it overpriced, the motor will not be happy for very long.

Sell the car and buy a factory turbo model.

talk to a 2.5RS owner or any of the 2.5i owner that have this kit with a stock motor with 100's of miles logged breakdown free :) This is AVO not Rinky-Dink Racing Sports .......:cool:

I'm not saying our turbokit is for everyone. But if you want to talk about horsepower per dollar, well, it can't be beat for N/A models. You can spend several thousands on cams, exhaust, pulleys and everything else and end up with 20hp, or just go straight for nearly double the stock hp. It's your choice.

Thank you HP/$ you CANNOT BEAT THIS KIT!

Archived