LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS kit group buy...?

Here is a thought;

The German Bilstein’s website show's a strut/shock application for the Legacy Estate "BP" model version with a 3.0 six cylinder motor. Here's the thought.... the 3.0 motor was and is ONLY fitted in the Outback model trim within the Legacy range of vehicles.

Nah. Actually in Europe Legacy both sedan and wagon (BL and BP) were available with the 3.0 motor. I believe only as SpecB with the 6MT gearbox. I don't think EDM Outback even had 3.0 option, but I am not positive about that.

Sorry.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just out of currious would these work aswell for a legacy wagon? i am confussed between the third generation out back and the third gen legacy. as i was under impression 3rd gen legacy wagons whent back to 2000' and i am not sure what parts would be compatible? thanks you

Nah. Actually in Europe Legacy both sedan and wagon (BL and BP) were available with the 3.0 motor. I believe only as SpecB with the 6MT gearbox. I don't think EDM Outback even had 3.0 option, but I am not positive about that.

Sorry.

Thanks UncleMat for the supportive detail.

As for the reply from Bilstein.de regarding a Outback strut/ shock fitment ~ I'm waiting.

Why. Why. Why Bilstein USA doesn't nut-up and offer an Outback application? A plea to Bilstein USAs General Manager is in order ~ someone, anyone,, Buehler, Buehler? Get that Dude's attention.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Euro Outback 3.0R has KYB rear self-leveling struts and dedicated springs

Bilstein BTS kit for Outback "DOES NOT" reduce ride height (maybe a little, as USDM Outback sits a little higher than EDM Outbacks), you need to buy Bilstein BTS kit for BP5 Legacy for 15mm drop from JDM/EDM Legacy ride height.

Edited by pachilla

The comprehensive JDM kit is definitely preferred, but i'm open to options. I'm thinking that if there are uprated struts, there are likely uprated springs available in Germany, as well, but even if there aren't, it wouldn't be too hard to have a limited number of springs custom made here by a reputable spring maker.

-Branden

I to have concerns with marrying the stock OE USDM Outback's coil springs with an uprated strut / shock such as the Bilstein B6 series as an example.

Such a combo must be checked out,,,, "shunt to ground as the saying goes". I still have not heard from Bilstein.de.

Branden, my BTS coil springs are available for study.... maybe Neuspeed, etc.??

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I too asked OOPARTS International for a BTS 5056J price, back in May of 2009 if I recall. The qoute had several "fee's" which is as we all know is simply another word for profit.

A bank fee line item of 1,500 Yen and another line item inititled Handling Fee of 10% or 13,500 Yen. In dollars the two line items amount to about $195.00 USD.

When my BTS was purchased these "add fee's" were not present. 10 kits you would think should frame up a short sale for the buyer's...

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

Mike: thanks for offering up your springs for study - very generous of you. The main piece of info is the compression rate. In fact, am i correct in thinking that we could have springs crafted that use the USDM perches and BTS springs rates, saving us from buying some of the extra JDM pieces?...

Slightly different note: King Springs (Australian co.) makes several nice progressive rate springs for the Outback. One set keeps stock height while upping the compression rate; they also have a set that raises the ride hide a bit while providing a 20-30% stiffer spring rate (the beauty of progressive rate coils), but i'm looking for stock or slightly lower than stock (up to 1") ride height.

And thanks, tevaburns, for looking into OOPARTS - is the sales manager's name really "Fuzzy"?... :p

I received a single-kit Bilstein BTS price of $1800 shipped to my USA address from HKC and am awaiting any word on a multiple order discount. Our weak dollar is killing us here: it places the Hirano Tire price of ¥128370 at US$1452 ...

-Branden

rB5 has anyone ordered those Bilstiens from Germany yet to see the length etc?

So to clarify we're hoping these are a ride height within 1" of stock outback height, but we'll need a spring solution? What about getting the Germany spec Subaru outback springs?

VE3-B830 and VE3-B831 Sport. Rear: BE5-B832

So to clarify we're hoping these are a ride height within 1" of stock outback height, but we'll need a spring solution? What about getting the Germany spec Subaru outback springs?

Tevaburns, you are correct oh wise one. There is a query emailed to Bilstein.de regarding the length spec's etc, Outback application, etc.

Once Bilstein.de chimes in their message will be passed along. Bilstein.de acknoweledged receiving my email ... so we wait.

As and aside, the $1700+ group purchase isn't all that steep. I take that back, its steep but not stupid $.

My BTS install gave our Outback XT a new life... the suspenion transforms this XT wagon. F-k you Subaru of America.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

Date line Atlanta, Georgia 10:24 am zoooolo.....

Just in, the Bilstein.de opinion is part #s VE3-B830, 831 and BE5-B832 Sport fit's the MY07 Subaru Legacy Outback (the German Market Subaru Outback vehicle.)

Allow me to double check this with my brother in-law whom lives in Germany. My plan is to have a F & R set shipped and we'll see. I'm sure somebody there accepts AMEX and will be willing to accept a return shoild the Bilstein's not fit. Me thinks its good news for Outback owners.

P.S., An alternate approuch would be to use a ruler. My in-law could simply match dimensions from my BTS set whilst at the parts Jobber counter, with a VE3-B830 strut on hand. If its a go, greeeaaat

Yeah,,,, the German Outback springs or any other spring set for that matter?? One task at a time!

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

Just got a quote for 10 BTS-5056J kits from Fuzzy at OOPARTS.

$17,109.56 total shipping & handling included. That's steep!

$1,710 per person! I was hoping for less.

Is the “$17,109.56” supposed to be the Yen amount or was it just a typo?

At $1710, the price looks in line with what i was quoted from HKC, who explained that “credits will be issued back to you if we have over quoted after delivery of goods.” And here is their explanation when asked about that pricing strategy: “To be honest, I would be more comfortable issuing you and fellow members credits after delivery instead of having us fix the prices. Reason largely being unanticpated costs, fluctuating exchange rates and freight. Many of the other vendors would have straight up prices with you as they quote enough to secure these risks. We don't - we try to offer products at the best prices possible based on current factors while making a reasonable profit from the transaction.” Fair enough - they deserve a commission for handling it and their reputation seems solid on the forums.

Honestly, i don't think we can do much better than those prices for the JDM BTS on this side of the Pacific, considering how weak our dollar is to the yen (and that won't be changing much anytime soon).

I'm eagerly waiting to hear the results of the German inquiry...

We'll crack this code yet!

Is the “$17,109.56” supposed to be the Yen amount or was it just a typo?

text portion Edit/Delete.

We'll crack this code yet!

The US Dollar sign need not be in front of a JPY 17,109.59 denomination.(yen)

Yeah,,, a bit of the painfully obvious...

Cheers, Mike

I've been posting alot on the Bilstein Facebook page about offering a kit...bout as useful as I can be right now

Hey Man,,, a spoke in the wheel! F''kng Bilstein USA... get on board!

Cheers, Mike

I guess I shouldn't be so impatient (imaptient).

Schneider bought his at 128,000 yen, which would be less than $1500 at today's exchange rate. I recently saw prices (in yen) at 178,000 yen; in fact, at one point over 200,000; that is not an exchange rate issue. That is profiteering. That said, I would be interested in this at $1500 + tophats, etc.

re German alternative. I thought I saw Bilstein B5 was the shock of choice; B6 & B8 wre for significant lowering. If lowering that much, just get the std Legacy stuff. If wanting more Outback-like ride height, I think the monotube B5 might be good enough. Matching springs is an unknown.

FYI, some non-Subaru BTS kits are under $1000 US. So, don't think anyone is doing us a favor at $1,500.

I am interested in group buy, just asking that we do a good job negotiating.

re German alternative. I thought I saw Bilstein B5 was the shock of choice; B6 & B8 wre for significant lowering. If lowering that much, just get the std Legacy stuff. If wanting more Outback-like ride height, I think the monotube B5 might be good enough. Matching springs is an unknown.

B6 is for stock ride-height, B8 is for lowered cars. The B6 are sold as "HD" here in the US, the B8 are sold as "Sport" (or "SP").

From what I read on this website the difference in ride height between Legacy and Outback comes from both

a) larger wheels on the Outback

b) longer struts

If that is true, I don't see how struts that are designed for the Legacy will fit on the Outback without lowering the car. The parts VE3-B830, 831 and BE5-B832 are available in the US and others on this website have mounted these on their Legacys (just search for the part number) without raising their cars. I don't want to sound like Captain Bummer but I think the German route will not give us anything that we don't already have available in the US.

Regarding the group buy on the BTS kit from Japan, a couple of questions:

1) What about customs/duty?

2) Should we offer to pay $15000 for 10 kits (incl. all shipping, duties, etc)?

3) I assume the seller would ship to a single address in the US. How much would shipping be from that address to the final buyer, assuming they're all in the lower 48?