LegacyGT.com

Axle compatibility between 2005 LGT and 2004 Legacy

amason

Hi all,

I have a broken 2005 LGT 5MT front axle in the garage, and I'm wondering about the potential to use it in a 2004 Legacy 4EAT. It seems that the year difference is less of an issue than the GT vs. non-GT aspect. If it's just a beefier part for the GT, but with the same dimensions, that'll work for now, and I can swap things around next spring when it's a bit more fun to work in the driveway (currently covered in a few " of wet snow).

Thanks,

Andy

I've tried two (one before your post and one after), neither of which give part #'s. Can you suggest one I should check? As I mentioned, there's a difference between the listings at subarugenuineparts.com for a 2005 LGT vs 2.5i, so I'm nearly certain the part numbers will be different, but that may not rule it out, so I was hoping for some extra insight. It does seem that other than the LGT, many Subaru models share drivetrain parts, so I thought it was worth investigating further...

Thx,

Andy

FWIW, I paid $80.00 for a new 100% new axle from Advance Auto Parts.

For that little money and the labor involved in doing the job twice or damage to something that could coast 10X's that...why take the chance.

Get the right part.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm in Canada, and my last axle (the one that replaced the broken part in the garage) cost $175ish, and sucked (causes vibration). Don't have time to go pick one up at Advance (hmm, wait, maybe I do...).

I'm not going to risk damaging anything by using the wrong part, that's why I asked. Replacing an axle is easy, so I wasn't going to mind paying someone to do it now, and just swapping them from one car to the other later (like when it's warm out), if the end result was that I had my OEM axle back and she had one that would suffice (my new one only vibrates above 75mph, which her car isn't going to see quite as often).

Anyway, your point is valid, and we'll probably go that route after all, and I'll get mine fixed and have a spare, crappy one lying around the garage.

Thx again,

Andy

Your welcome, I was just trying to get you to think.

I have done the cheap axles on Honda's. I've gone through as many as 4 axles before I got a good one.

But hey they were $40.00 with free lifetime replacement. Do buy a remanufactured axle for a Honda.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived