LegacyGT.com

got some new stuff for engine R&R

Depends on what "more power" is. I'm putting a Heuberger sourced shortblock in my DD right now and don't think I'll lose any sleep running Dyno tuned Stg2 power levels in this car for years to come. On a proper tune these motors can handle that power no problem. Hell, I got 8 seasons on track flogging the crap out of my GT wagon, (plus daily driving) at stg. 3 before the ringland finally let go. The GT got a built shortblock and heads after that happened since "the daily beatings will continue until moral improves" :)

I am a noob to EJ motors, from what I gather, these motors can handle 450 Flywheel HP (350-380WHP) fairly reliably (except for short pistons and ringland failure or oil starvation).

Gkinslow has a valid point. Where will you want to max out power wise (reliably) and what's your current budget. One controls the other. Over the 350whp/400whp, the upgraded pump, injectors and turbo cost to get there is apparent. But over that (380+ whp) transmission, diff, axles, underwear, etc. become costly.

P.S. I read a lot, and experiment little due to "empty-wallet-itis."

Disclaimer: all of this info portrayed above is by a noob, take with two grains of salt, shot of vodka, and a lemon, sometimes preparation H too.

P.P.S. sorry to hijack Max Capacity.

Don't worry, its all a good discussion.

Seems you have learned a lot. I have driven a 660hp Mustang on the street, there's no real need for that kind of HP on the street.

These cars at low 300's AWHP can get you a speeding ticket fast enough.

The thing you have to understand with HP, is the closing speed on other cars. (My wagon is pretty quick from 50-80mph.)

Almost relearned that lesson yesterday getting on the highway merging into traffic. Good thing the wagon has decent brakes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am excited (and scared) to go cobb stage 2 OTS tune with supporting mods (scared because of the low compression component). This will give me proper consensus on if I desire an HTA 68, or vf52, or any of the higher dollar mods. If the motor lets go, there is funding afoot if necessary.

I only had a 400whp 70mm turbo foxbody, but at nearly 2950 lbs it was plenty quick and sketchy with 30 year old suspension, and drum brakes in the back... sold the motorcycle, and now enjoy the more "wise" things, family, dog, etc. So you mention the enjoyment one can have at merely at 300whp and I feel that is precisely where I am looking to be, only 20 years ahead of my age group!

Also, when we compare power and speed... just think, the 2020 tesla roadster base model will have over 7400 ft lbs of torque... if we gain 100 or so with an upgraded turbo and other mods, we are still little fish in a big pond!

Edited by Wasted Potential

Yea, I can tell you 280AWHP in my wagon it's a fun reliable DD. I think I've said here before, I would like a new car...but damn Tuning Alliance made the car so much fun to drive. It's such a blast to run it through the first 3 gears to 5500rpm on the back roads...just pulls hard and then your going to fast...

FWIW, Mike Kinsman of TA has tried to get me into a HTA68 years back. Talk with him about your plans and goals. Let him know I sent you to him. tuningalliance@gmail.com

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 2 months later...
The left front is a reman from years back, the others are OEM, the right front was rebooted 2 years ago, rears are still what came on the car, boots look great.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p6.html

post 205

Also check that thread for other good axles and lots of info.

Thank you for sharing your experience and information. I've learned a bit these past 2 days being home and sick the flu..

My question for you is how is the AL flywheel as far as a DD goes vs. the stocker or even the single mass wheel? I run a AL on my toy car and absolutely love it, just wondering if I can expect the same..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The car has had a SMFW for the last 3 years, I see no real difference in driving. The engine may rev a little different but it was not as big of a difference like I expected.

I still have the Spec LWFW in the shed. Should sell someday.

The car has had a SMFW for the last 3 years, I see no real difference in driving. The engine may rev a little different but it was not as big of a difference like I expected.

Yea, the new OEM ej257 is your easiest route.

Make list of things you think you need and have a plan. Makes the project come out better.

I had month's to plan mine and years of reading/learning on here.

Thanx for the input. I'm assuming my car has the stock dual mass FW. So when I eventually do a clutch I can definitely expect a decent amount change then..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

The wagon turned 258,000 miles today.

Here it is along with the other cars in the driveway.

DSCN7933.thumb.JPG.a9505b879eb6595bdef4429e6f5269a8.JPG

DSCN7930.thumb.JPG.773a1ae198bf2df14d5385318d779738.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
There is just the one small spot behind the left rear tire. I keep after it with "fluid film" and "extend"rust treatment. It had some rust in the bottom of the passenger front door but that door has been replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

I just turned 220k in my 05 LGT today. I rebuilt the motor at 185K.

Still running the stock turbocharger.

I have rust on both sides in front of the rear wheels... behind the plastic skirts and creeping up the front of the wheel wells.

• 2 months later...
The wagon turned 258,000 miles today.

Here it is along with the other cars in the driveway.

[ATTACH]267234[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]267235[/ATTACH]

WOW!!! 258k+ miles is amazing! Just read through the whole hold thread, really good info in here.

Thanks, it now has 262,000 miles. As the oil gets on in miles it does use oil. I seem to add .1 of a quart weekly currently. Seems it gets at least 350 miles a week. Oil has about 6000 miles on it now. Plan to change it over Thanksgiving weekend.

It will start the weekly drive to VT for skiing soon.