LegacyGT.com

SPT vs Borla- Which has less drone?

keithk831

In a different thread I posted about my new SPT catback. I like how it looks as well as the extra midrange torque, but it drones a little with my Stage 2 setup. Someone locally is looking to trade his Borla for an SPT. Would that be a good move? Less drone on a Stage 2 setup?

I wouldn't mind it being a tad louder, I just want no drone on the inside.

Get the Magnaflow...I love it I think you can get it for $550 from Subimods. I bought mine used for about a year and cleaned it up and it looks brand new. They have a decent warranty too.

with any stage 2 setup, (catless up and catted/catless dp) im pretty sure any aftermarket exhaust will drone.. some will drone more than others, but unless you get a resonator added on, the catbacks will have drone.

or you could just add dynamat under the already insulated carpets to keep some droning noises out of the car.. never tried but heard it helps. i got used to the droning. I had catless dp and straight pipe single exhaust..

with any stage 2 setup, (catless up and catted/catless dp) im pretty sure any aftermarket exhaust will drone.. some will drone more than others, but unless you get a resonator added on, the catbacks will have drone.

or you could just add dynamat under the already insulated carpets to keep some droning noises out of the car.. never tried but heard it helps. i got used to the droning. I had catless dp and straight pipe single exhaust..

Yeah...my Perrin cans with stock midpipe doesn't drone at all...so i'm wondering if having a resonator in an aftermarket exhaust makes all the difference.

I also noticed with my last car that chambered mufflers drone WAY more than straight-thru designs (SLP vs Magnaflow). So muffler design has a lot to do with it also.

With the Magnaflow you can't really notice any "drone" when the radio is on, or when you take your foot off the pedal...nice exhaust, really. I have had mine on for two weeks and I love the damn thing, I sometimes cetch myself driving with the radio off and the windows cracked just to hear the damn thing.

I have a Borla CBE with a CNT catted DP. I haven't noticed drone under any condition. In fact, I had installed the CBE before the DP, and at cruising speed the addition of the DP added very little volume. In town, with the windows down, the increased sound of the DP is definitely noticeable-in a very good way.

• 2 years later...
I have a Borla CBE with a CNT catted DP. I haven't noticed drone under any condition. In fact, I had installed the CBE before the DP, and at cruising speed the addition of the DP added very little volume. In town, with the windows down, the increased sound of the DP is definitely noticeable-in a very good way.

Me, too. No drone at Stage 2 and now 3 w/CNT catted DP. Actually a bit quiet overall...

any more opinion on SPT vs. Borla on catted COBB DP? utube seems to suggest that Borla is little louder? Friend stopped by in his 11 STI yesterday. Turbo X catless and SPT. It sounded pretty much perfect.

I've got the SPT V2 with a Cobb catted DP. It does drone a little at about 68-72MPH, but nothing significant. Anything below or above that, it is quiet. Since you have a Spec B, it may put you in a different RPM range at those speeds.

Stage 3 with a borla cbe and megan downpipe. Car is very quiet on the inside almost stock "big sleeper" The downpipe barely made a difference in noise. I have a 46mm ewg so i have the best of both worlds .

Actually - I have both worlds with the Borla on the Stage 3 Spec b; and the cheap-ass, oxidizing, loud & drony GMS CBE on the Stage 2 wagoon...:lol:

Archived