LegacyGT.com

Import Canadian LGT in US

jonno

Hi Everyone,

Sad times, I've sold my 2008 Legacy GT to a guy out of Seattle and I live in Vancouver BC, Canada. The vehicle is a Canadian car and was purchased in Ontario.

The gentleman that bought my car is reporting that it isn't possible for them to register it in Washinton State but I highly doubt that is the case.

I understand that there is various documentation and forms and inspections that need to be obtained and completed before the DOT will register the car. In the eyes of the law, I've sold the car to this individual but I feel bad for him in his situation. He should have done his homework first!

Does anyone have a suggestion or know what he needs to do and how to get it done so he can start enjoying my (ahem, his) LGT??

Thanks!

Jon

Well you should have done your homework as well so as to bring hardship to both parties. That buyer is going to have to pay a decent amount of tax on top of the sale price and pass emissions and safety. This is primarily why there aren't many cross border sales of vehicles. Trust me I would go to Toronto and buy a 2016 6MT Legacy 2.5i right now if it wouldn't cost me $41k all total.

Wow, thanks for the help Gee-Otto. With friends like you...

I did enough "homework" prior to them coming and warned them they have a lot of things to get in order for this to work. I went with them to an auto plan broker and helped them through the transfer and temporary insurance to get them home. Wrote them up a bill of sale so the customs wouldn't hassle them. I did everything necessary to get the car to the US. A stern warning about the exact situation they are in as well was given.

So, back to my question, what do they need to do? If it is simply passing emissions and safety, that sounds like a couple hundred bux at the local garage to get them rolling. I'm hoping there is someone on this forum that has done this or knows someone else who has??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh boy. I've already bought my new vehicle and have no money to refund them!!

I feel bad for them but I'm stuck as to what I can do to help.

You warned them, right?

Enjoy your new car and don't respond to them.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Paying $9,500 USD for a $13,000 CAD vehicle has lost some of its appeal I think.

BDII, I think I'm at that point.

FLlegacy, that's exactly what I sent them in advance. Doesn't sound too difficult, it just sounds like a bit of legwork to make it happen. I can't imagine a Canadian LGT is vastly different from an American LGT safety-wise.

Thanks for your help guys.

My neighbor in WA buys cars from Canada all the time, doesn't seem to have issues getting them registered. I'd say the onus is on the purchaser, not the seller, in a situation like this.

If I buy horse meat in Canada, it's not the butcher's fault I can't take it across the border.

You warned them, right?

Enjoy your new car and don't respond to them.

This really is the best option. And i wasnt trying to flame you, as I didnt know you went to a broker etc if I had I would had responded with the above :) Enjoy your new ride!

• 3 weeks later...
Well you should have done your homework as well so as to bring hardship to both parties. That buyer is going to have to pay a decent amount of tax on top of the sale price and pass emissions and safety. This is primarily why there aren't many cross border sales of vehicles. Trust me I would go to Toronto and buy a 2016 6MT Legacy 2.5i right now if it wouldn't cost me $41k all total.

How did you come up with the $41k number? What does it consist of?

By my reckoning a Legacy 2.5i Touring 6 speed manual works out to $25,000 USD if purchased in Ontario. Cheaper in Alberta where provincial taxes are lower. I believe if you're importing to USA you can get the provincial port of the taxes back anyway. Then you'll have to pay whatever tax the US puts on cars, which can't be that much. I'm not sure if the USA insists that the speedometer be in MPH first or not. Anyway, I seriously doubt you'd be out of pocket $41,000 USD by the time its in your driveway.

The import taxes/customs fees can be high. I just wonder if someone dug deep and knows some hard numbers.

The speedometers the Canadian speedometers have both kph/mph so that should not be a problem.

The import taxes/customs fees can be high. I just wonder if someone dug deep and knows some hard numbers.

The speedometers the Canadian speedometers have both kph/mph so that should not be a problem.

Due to NAFTA cars manufactured in US/Canada are not subjected to import duties when moved between two countries. For Subarus that would be Legacy,Outback, Tribeca at this time and soon Impreza since all of them are/will be manufactured at SIA in Indiana.

Safety requirements is whole other topic but with Subies we are lucky since they are literally the same cars except for speedos, HVAC settings and may be labels.

What you will pay for a Canadian Subaru depends greatly on current exchange rate; Subarus in Canada and ROW are generally way more expensive than in USA. Back when SOA announced no more GTs for US they were still making them at SIA for Canadian market and few people looked at importing them but the price was ending up in low 40Ks which is CPO BMW territory. I don't know of anyone who actually pulled the trigger.

On the other side, Joe at cars101.com was providing services for Canadians at the same time who were snapping Subarus in US because they were ending up much cheaper them buying them in Canada. It even lead to Canadian Subaru declaring that they will stop honoring warranties for Subarus purchased in US.

Check with cars101.com, now that the exchange rate is different, importing a rare Subie from Canada may be worth it - if it is again made in US (Legacy,Outback or Tribeca).

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Good info. I would think Subaru not honoring warranties across border is disingenuous and out of step with the spirit of free market trade.

Yes, cars are more expensive in Canada because most people here lease their cars so the incentives to sell for less are much reduced to that of USA. I believe Subaru actually sells more than they lease, and I also recall them having more cash sales than anyone other brand, but they still have higher pricing to make more money.

Archived