LegacyGT.com

Inadequte brakes

On our 05LGT I really don't like brake system. I really feel how heavy car is when I brake, seems like brakes barely suffice to stop this heavy beast.

I already bought some S/S brake lines, what else should I do to improve braking. I read about WRX booster swap...

When I brake, it feels like there's dead spot in pedal before car actually starts braking. Its not mushy just very unresponsive, so in case of panic stop its kinda dangerous. My 68 Charger with drum brakes on all 4 corners has better response brakes :lol:

Agreed. I can't tell if the brakes are supposed to be like this or not. I do get a bit of a vibration when stopping quickly though, and a low speed with squeak. I put new rotors up front, new pads all around too. Definitely the car's weak spot in my opinion.

I second the MCB. That and the SS lines/better pads and fluid. I also rebuilt the stock calipers. This met my needs and removed the mushy/holy crap am I gonna stop in time feeling. That being said, your final desires from hp/tq perspective may warrant better calipers. I'm only running 18 psi and the aforementioned mods met my needs.

First 2 are out of question. I want to improve braking but I'm not spending 2K on brake kit, besides car is staying stock for a while, it won't be autocrossed, etc.

What is that master cylinder brace, how effective is it, works both on manual/auto cars?

If you both are running the stock pads, they tend to deposit themselves more on the rotor than any pad I've seen causing vibration issues and poor braking. The rotors themselves may not be warped, but just heavily deposited.

Pads and fluid may make a huge difference. If you have not replaced the fluid in two years, it's due.

There is a ton of information on pads in the brake forum. I won't recommend a pad to you since it will turn into a debate on which one is better or worse. I suggest you do your own research to make a decision.

With fresh fluid, stock pads and rotors on my 3.0 R Legacy, I can make all four tires squeal easily with the ABS fighting to keep them from locking up. With my LGT with DBA 4000 slotted rotors, racing fluid, stainless hoses, and Hawk HP+ pads it does it A LOT faster. However when they get wet, they don't grab until I warm them back up. There are compromises.

When you press on the pedal, you push on the master cylinder which in turn causes the firewall to flex slightly in your car causing the brake system to feel weak. With the MCB, you help hold the master cylinder in place and keep it from moving via the firewall flex.

When you press on the pedal, you push on the master cylinder which in turn causes the firewall to flex slightly in your car causing the brake system to feel weak. With the MCB, you help hold the master cylinder in place and keep it from moving via the firewall flex.

And it works really well :)

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=60_54_164

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Easy to install also. It was one of those mods were I finished so quick that I was almost disappointed. I kept looking through the video to make sure I didn't miss anything.

It is only ok if you have the option to completely defeat it; which is rare anymore. Most defeat switches only eliminate parts of the assistance. I like that my 05 allows me to make the decisions regarding traction. I've always found ABS beneficial though.

I'm not bashing tech, I just enjoy making most of the driving decisions. If it was completely defeatable, I'd be ok with it being there.

They make a VDC and a non-VDC version of the brace (some fitment issues with the current version of the VDC variety have been reported.)

My understanding is that all 05GT's are non-VDC. So, I think you'll be ok.

If you would like further confirmation pm msprank for verification. He will know for sure, or be able to help you figure out exactly what you have. Just make sure you order it from him then - lol. Don't forget the discount code.

07+ LGT

"new VDC all wheel drive traction control system on GT automatic transmission with Navigation only. This is the first year the VDC system has been offered on a Legacy, previously it has only been on the Outback VDC and Tribeca models. VDC stability traction control system measures variables such as steering input, braking and vehicle angle, and applies individual brakes and/or reduces engine power to counteract skids or slides to help keep you in control."

2008:

new VDC all wheel drive with traction control now standard on 2.5i Limited starting July, 2007 delivery. See prices for model codes.

VDC is also standard on GT with automatic transmission, GT specB, and the new 3.0R Limited.

VDC stability traction control system measures variables such as steering input, braking and vehicle angle, and applies individual brakes and/or reduces engine power to counteract skids or slides to help keep you in control.

VDC includes on 4 speed automatics a traction control system which senses a loss of of traction and applies the brakes to the slipping wheels to maintain vehicle motion This is not the VTD system on the GT with 5 speed automatic.

VDC includes on 5speed automatic tranmissions and GT turbo models traction control system VTD Variable Torque Distribution. 45/55 performance oriented, front/rear power split with Limited Slip rear axle,

abs lengthing stopping distances in all cases with anyone who knows how to drive.

abs reduces stopping distances in most cases when the person does not know how to drive except in slushy or sand conditions it doubbles stopping distance.

vdc is good however, where you are going stait and your turn wheels completely on ice or what ever, if you turning left and the car is going strait it will actualyl help your begin your turn. by applying the left brakes. however if your over steering left it will apply right side brakes to prevent over steer.

how ever ultimate cornering ability is reduced because its on the safe side.

and vdc will apply the brakes to spining wheels if your stuck witch usually helps.

but i want the ability to turn those things off so i can not crash in circumstances where it hinders stopping ability.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived