LegacyGT.com

2009 5EAT stage 2 options

rlefevre

Before I start, let me just say that I have searched through all the threads here and read as much as I can, but the information is scattered so I still do not feel like I have a good grasp on my options.

I have a 2009 lgt 5eat with the only current modifications being stage 1 with an AP. I picked up a Cobb catted DP here on the classifieds and am considering installing it, until I started reading about the transmission mods here. I am concerned about my transmission and this car is my DD so I do not want to put it at significant risk for a few more HP. I am trying to understand all my options to proceed from here.

1. ClimberD VB modification for $500, the problem is, I do not think this is available yet for the 2009 lgt, correct? So really this is not a viable option.

2. IPT VB mod. I do not really like the idea of paying $700 for one spring to be added and couple filters removed.

3. Do not go stage 2. This is obviously the safest choice, but not as fun. :)

4. Go stage 2 and cross my fingers. This is not ideal because the car is my DD.

Am I missing anything? None of those options seem very good to me. Is anyone here running stage 2 on a 2009 that can comment on it? Most of the searching I did were people with 05-07s.

1. not available for 08+

2. not worth it as people have blown trans with this mod at a similar rate as being stock

3. stage 2 should be fine with a stock tranny, just flush the ATF every 15k with a couple drain/refills of the pan.

there's quite a few people with stage 2 5eat's on here without issues. then there's the one or two people who blow trans with stock power levels. some items in the tune can be tweaked around shifts so that there isn't much power being run through the driveline during a shift. you'd need a cutom tune for that.

Go for it! I have the same car and same setup, Cobb catted DP and AP. you just have to be smart about it. Tranny fluid every 15k like mentioned above. Don't drive hard until the car, an more importantly the tranny fluid, is hot.

One other thing I see recommended alot, and I did, is to brace the intercooler so it doesn't split.

A heads up for future plans, higher hp full stage 2 custom tunes have trashed trannies. Ill be staying basic stage 2 until we get a valve body upgrade available (fingers crossed).

I went stage 2 with my '08 DD and haven't had any issues with my transmission. I never installed a cooler like Pete recommended, tho it is a good idea. Best advice I drive by is don't launch and watch the really high rpm full throttle shifts. You can go from 20-100 in 3rd gear and have a blast doing it. No plans to ever track my car. I have been stage 2 for 2 years in March and my fluid is still great, tho a flush is due. The difference between stage 1 and 2 is BIG! DO EET!

Ive also been rolling around with stage 2 with the stock VB. However I do have an 05, so Im not sure if the tranny strengths are different. I think you'll be alright as long as you dont do brake stands and neutral drops haha.

Thanks all. I went ahead and installed the cobb dp today. All went smoothly. I was very happy that I bought all new gaskets and hardware especially for the downpipe to intermediate pipe joint. Those bolts were really rusted under the car.

It started raining today so I have not been able to really gauge the power increase, but the car seems to be running well with no signs of knocking on data logs.

I plan to change the transmission fluid shortly and take care of the transmission.

My 08 5EAT was the first EVER to receive the IPT valve body mod. Cost over $1200 (I even let IPT install it, I drove the car to them and they had it for almost 10 hours).

Tranny blew during tuning with a 16g. Already had a 4454 trans cooler.

Stage 2 again for 30k more on the rebuild with just the trans cooler. Not even going to attempt stage3 again until Hex mods hands over the first 08+ VB to me. I sent him a new OEM 08 VB over a year ago to use for testing.

My 08 5EAT was the first EVER to receive the IPT valve body mod. Cost over $1200 (I even let IPT install it, I drove the car to them and they had it for almost 10 hours).

Tranny blew during tuning with a 16g. Already had a 4454 trans cooler.

Stage 2 again for 30k more on the rebuild with just the trans cooler. Not even going to attempt stage3 again until Hex mods hands over the first 08+ VB to me. I sent him a new OEM 08 VB over a year ago to use for testing.

have you been able to get any details from him regarding the progress of the 08 VB??

No real updates. I know he has had a rough 2012 personally and the valve body mods are a side job. So, I keep my fingers crossed for progress this year. With a baby due in May, I dont have much time left for spending money on my own cars (even though the wife has been "given" the 5EAT).

Archived