LegacyGT.com

06 Acura RL Old man car??

So my lease is up soon on my 05LGT. Drove the new spec B. Also, saw an used 06 RL for a very good price. Haven't driven it yet, but what are you thoughts?? Not really a direct competitor to the LGT..

Old man car??? :lol: I imagine it is not very sporty, but must be very quiet and smooth. I am debating over going to test dive it or not.... I am sure the AWD will be as good as the LGT...

Anyone drive the RL? What were your thoughts?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest heightsgtltd

Does the 06 have the SHAWD?

If so, then it's an interesting ride, and perhaps a good deal used. They were no where near worth the asking price new IMHO

IT depends on what you are looking to get out of your ride..

Does the 06 have the SHAWD?

If so, then it's an interesting ride, and perhaps a good deal used. They were no where near worth the asking price new IMHO

IT depends on what you are looking to get out of your ride..

They all have the SH AWD. I want AWD living in Vermont and very few choices. They all have the nav system and all the toys, even active noise cancellation.

Anyway, they want 32k for an RL with 27k miles. Certified Acura car.. Considering it was in the mid 40's new, and the KBB value says 39k, seemed like a good price.

Why don't you look at an 07 TL-S? Or are you really wanting something with AWD?

AWD a must. OTHERWISE, I would be getting the TL type S. Love that car.

I also LOVE Acura design. The overall Acura design is amazing. Much better than Subie design by far..

Guest heightsgtltd

only recent RL's have SHAWD, I just couldnt remember if 06 or 07 was the first year of the newer body and SHAWD

Optioned out they MSRPd in the low 50K range

It is def worth a test drive man.......

Drove one about a year ago & the interior alone is worth giving it a look;)

Acceleration is about the same as a stock 5EAT

As far as price goes....

you should have no problems @ all getting a loaded 06 with less than 15k for no more than 32-33k remember it is 2yrs old.

A friend had a 06 **lease** and just got rid of it the end of Oct. he never had one issue with the car & he put 40k on it in 24mo

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Its worth a ride. I had an Acura CL-S for 6 yrs prior to my LGT and I was very happy with it. The RL is a little understated in its appearance, but its got 300hp with the AWD system(not full time) and the comfort will be a big upgrade from what you are used to with the LGT. Can't hurt to take a look, you will probably be suprised.

only recent RL's have SHAWD, I just couldnt remember if 06 or 07 was the first year of the newer body and SHAWD

Optioned out they MSRPd in the low 50K range

Yes, sorry, I was thining the new body style. The old body style isn't even worth remembering. The new body style started in 05.

Does the car you are looking @ have nav? Technology package?

If not..........30k would be a good price with those miles. If I remember correctly that tranny has a warranty till 100K:):)

I don't think it has the Tech package, but they all have the Nav and bluetooth!!!!!!!! Love bluetooth in the TL.

I want it for less than 30k with tax... They can also give me a few k for my current lease since my buyback is low.

I think the new RL is a baller car. The interior hands down is better than the lgt along with the awd system. The appearance is elegant but definitely not going to get the same reaction you would get from a 2 door or a sporty looking sedan like the lgt. I forgot to mention those cars last, that 3.5 motor is the bomb! My best friend got a brand new rl in 1997, it now has 290k and is still on original motor and tranny, granted he put a tranny cooler on his AT with low miles to ensure it would last. I had an accord v6 before my lgt and I loved the j series v6, very good mid range pull and more importantly ultra reliable if taken care of and maintained properly.

I found a review, and they mention that the technology package comes with run-flat tires. Sounds like a good reason not to get that package.

I know a few other high-mileage businessmen that drive them. Really comfortable, good all-weather performance, reasonable mileage, and the dealer treats you better than your mother. They buy them as Certified cars with relatively high mileage and put 40K+ per year on them. And you can still sell them with 200K on the clock. They're not really old-man cars in that their profile is not distinctive enough - they don't really look like a high-tech $50K car. Which is good if you're the 2nd owner......

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I have driven many acuras, including the tl and the s. The are great cars i like the look a good amount of hp. But they always feel like the lack torque. My friends GTP would smoke the TL, the GTP is 240hp and 280trq, the Acura 270hp and less trq, the GTP would pull 4 cars before the end of second. As far as quality and reliability they have it.

I have driven many acuras, including the tl and the s. The are great cars i like the look a good amount of hp. But they always feel like the lack torque. My friends GTP would smoke the TL, the GTP is 240hp and 280trq, the Acura 270hp and less trq, the GTP would pull 4 cars before the end of second. As far as quality and reliability they have it.

I hear you on the torque, but at the same time you are comparing a car that has a bigger engine to begin with(I think?) plus it is supercharged. So on the other hand it seems like you have to give the Acura some credit for making comparable power with much less hardware.

The RL is 290HP 256ft-lbs, but it is a little heavier than the TL with its size and AWD at 4018 lbs. 0-60 is 6.1 seconds, but it'll handle 0.9g's, so it's a quick, well-handling car. The GTP probably has higher gearing and it only weighs about 3400 lbs, so it might be a little faster, but who are we trying to race when we have an RL? They're as nice as a Lexus and more comfortable than a Lincoln.

IMO, the previous generation RLs were definitely overpriced "old man cars" when new, but the '05 and newer RLs w/ SHAWD are much sportier and offer better value for the dollar when new. That said, however, the RL suffers in the marketplace because it is being compared to RWD competitors w/ V-8s such as the Infiniti M45 and Lexus GS430. I still think it is a very good car regardless even though I still find it a bit "vanilla" for my taste.

The newer 05+ SHAWD models arent really old man cars, the pre AWD ones were very very very much C list lexus wannabes but the current generation is a very nice car, and if bland styling that you will totally blend in with the pack of camrys and accords on the highway then go for it.

And dont trust kbb, kbb is always a bit high check out what edmunds.com TMV is on it before you bite, and never pay what they are asking for it :)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

The newer 05+ SHAWD models arent really old man cars, the pre AWD ones were very very very much C list lexus wannabes but the current generation is a very nice car, and if bland styling that you will totally blend in with the pack of camrys and accords on the highway then go for it.

And dont trust kbb, kbb is always a bit high check out what edmunds.com TMV is on it before you bite, and never pay what they are asking for it :)

I would never pay what they are asking...... :lol: Also, I am thinking that end of the year, end of the month, might be perfect time to get a great deal...:) In my experience, it's great to go the end of the month. Still a few months to go on my lease though.. not best timing.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Also, don't really think our LGT stand out that much....:) It looks very similar to a camry as mentioned on here all the time.

I know, all i was saying is hp doesnt always win races. I do love the TLs and RLs, i wouldnt consider either a old mans car, now a lincoln town car thats and old mans car. I had his GTP on a scale and belive me it aint no 3400lbs car, 3720 without anyone in it.

Archived