LegacyGT.com

1993 Turbo Automatic

Hello there, My name is Ben! I just picked up a 1993 Legacy GT for $300. The kid who had it did a timing belt, full tune up, fuel filter, fuel pump, plugs, wires. Then it died. It would not start. I looked at it and he wanted $500 for it..... I said not at the moment. Fast forward about one month, and he text me yesterday asking if I still wanted it, $300 without wheels or tires. I went to a yard and picked up a set of wheels, went to his house and put them on, fired the car up and drove it on the trailer. The kid was dumbfounded it ran.

******UPDATED******

newer coil pack, runs better. I drove it across town today, it was super gutless until about 30mph, then it took off like a rocket. we determined the turbo is not getting enough air unless I'm driving it. I also replaced the wires. the intake and turbo was pulled, turbo is nice and tight, no shaft play. My "DSM god" buddy who knows turbo motors inside out, said the air control valve might not be opening up correctly.. gonna look at it tomorrow

not sure if its the same on a turbo, but on my 91 legacy, i had a CEL for code 35(canister purge valve). idle was shite. car would vibrate enough to cause my fat rolls to jiggle

replaced it, idle is so much smoother.

also check the coil pack for corrosion. mine had a fair bit in it. cleaning it all out pretty much smoothed out the idle.

the idle air control valve would cause a wild swing (in hondas at least) in your idle. im talking 1500 > 500 > 1500 back n forth. i had that issue in my turbo h22 accord about 10 years ago.

Definitely clean your idle air control valve (IACV). Purchase a new gasket for it though at the dealer. Soak it in gasoline and spin the barrel around and clean it up with a qtip.

Check all your vacuum lines too.

A boost leak test is a good idea. I did a write up: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-boost-leak-tester-ss-199337.html

When I wrote that DIY I didn't have an air compressor so I used a bike pump. BE careful with your turbo inlet elbow though. They break by looking at them and are no longer available so if you break it you will have to make one.

You can also spray starter fluid or carb cleaner on all your vacuum connections to help find vacuum leaks. If the idle surges when you spray a particular connection that indicates a leak.

I had to replace every single vacuum line, coolant, hose, pcv line on my SS. They become brittle and break over time.

Hi,

To clarify as this is commonly misunderstood your car isn't a GT unless it's an import from JDM or oveseases.

It's a Sport Sedan.

The USA GT didn't arrive 'til '94, regardless of this site's use of Generation years. It was NOT turbocharged, had the raised roof like the '96+ Outbacks, but the rest of the sheet metal was the same body style as the '89-'94 models. And same non-turbo EJ22e.

Read up HERE.

Enjoy the new wheels.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived