LegacyGT.com

Perrin Intake

kosherpineapple

i just installed my perrin intake and im not quite sure what its supposed to sound like this is my first turbo car and im basically learning. So after i got it on of course i took it for a little spin and right away i could hear so much more of an induction of air, i can now hear the turbo spool up and then when i let off the gas there is a decently loud blow off. Sometimes when i push the pedal down the the inductions of air starts then once i get to like 4k rpms and the air seems to start to flutter liike its being blocked or something. Also when i push the pedal down i get a really deep sound which definately sounds nice. so everyone let me know if i have something wrong!!!

Sounds right to me.

Pretty much identical to what I hear, though I just have a Perrin panel filter (stock intake - resonator).

It has made me curious though, is 4k roughly when boost starts to taper? I too find it kinda odd that the sound of sucking air is so obvious from pretty much 2.5k - 4k then just drops off to nothing.

is a turn really necessary with just an intake

i mean i was planning on doing that after i got my dp and exhaust with my AP

what dp and exhaust do yall recommend

Arguably the best DP in the mkt right now is the Cobb DP, both catted and cat-less versions. As for exhaust I think the Megan Racing is a pretty good deal for the price. Theres a GB going on currently for this exhaust, which I'm considering as well.

As I stated in your other thread, Kosher, I think you're about right in terms of how the Perrin Short Ram "sounds." :)

The 4K + "fluttering" may be due to wastegate flutter - but if you're at stock boost levels, this is only likely in 3rd or 4th gear, and even then, more than likely only on cooler days when you are actually able to reach full target boost.

If you're on an aftermarket EM and are exceeding stock boost levels, then definitely, what you hear is more than likely wastegate flutter, particularly at that RPM. However, if you are indeed using aftermarket EM, you should seriously think about getting the vehicle custom or semi-custom tuned for the intake as soon as possible (or remove the intake in the interim). The Perrin Short Ram is known for it's rather unpredictable lean-spots, which can only be accounted for with a tune that's specific to your very vehicle and its battery of modifications.

With stock engine-management, although members have logged slightly higher EGTs with the Perrin Short Ram in-place, it's noted to not have risen to a level that require "concern," and has been deemed by-convention to be "safe" on an otherwise un-modded (i.e. the Short Ram being your sole mod) LGT.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Stromung, but they're a bit pricier (and take a while to get), and the tips hang a little lower.

You should be able to increase the volume of the Megan system by going fully catless post-turbo. Similarly, I don't know if the Megan system incorporates a built-in resonator in its "mid" section, but if it does, ripping that out and replacing it with a straight pipe of matching diameter will typically also increase volume (but may bring about a bit of raspy or harsh tone).

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Its hard to "recommend" it b/c no one really has any exerience with it besides pics, sound clips and dyno. So, no word on quality or durability or anything else thats not neccesarily on paper. BoostJunkie is the only one with hands on experience and he seems like a nice enough guy but he is also the one selling them. As far as looks and sound, it fits my taste but I don't speak for everyone and your tastes may be different.

^ Exactly!

It's not that I don't like Megan products - I really and honestly do. From my past experience with their products, they've all be exceptional, especially when you consider the cost.

But I just haven't had direct access to this product ( seeing as that I am sorta half-way across the country from good brother Boostjunkie and his crew :) ), and thus cannot offer my humble personal recommendation.

• 1 month later...

Archived