LegacyGT.com

Anyone do wheel bearings?

1-3-2-4

Anyone in the CT area that knows someone that does wheel bearings? I'm almost 100% sure mine went out on the highway, I was in the 3rd lane and all of a sudden the car got very wobbly in the rear with a lot of noise like popping sounds and rubbing.. I ended up doing 25 mph for the rest of the way home, my ABS light also came on.

the car got very wobbly in the rear with a lot of noise like popping sounds and rubbing.. I ended up doing 25 mph for the rest of the way home, my ABS light also came on.

That sounds a lot more serious than a wheel bearing. Although every wheel bearing failure I've ever heard sounds different they usually tend to hum or make a light grinding sound on the highway, none of which involves wobbling or popping. Also your ABS light would have no reason to go on if a wheel bearing failed.

Not sure what to tell you honestly. Make sure your wheels are on properly or balanced. Get under there and try jiggling stuff about. ABS lights can come on sometimes if a wheel speed sensor is damaged. If you go to Autozone or any Autoparts store they might be able to read it for you. Not all places have readers that reads ABS or SRS (airbag) codes.

yeah. mine annoyed me with a rotational speed dependent hum for thousands of miles before I replaced mine. and I replaced the wrong one due to it being an inner v outer race issue!!!:spin: rear, not front!!!

I completely agree it sounds like something more serious than a wheel bearing, when those go it's usually gradual and not all of a sudden, I would say try and get the car on a lift or some jacks and poke around under there, spin the wheel and try and zero in on where the noise is coming from, also with the car off the ground shake the wheel, make sure there's no play, that's usually a good sign of a bad wheel bearing.

The FSM says to check for up and down play in the bearing seeing how the wheel was when I was moving I'm sure it has play it in, I think I'm going to head home tomorrow after work to start working on it I have no clue how easy or hard it's going to be removed.

Archived