LegacyGT.com

hoping for encouragement

140kguy

test drove a 2005 legacy GT limited. it's an automatic (which I am looking for). 144,500 miles on it. it seems to be as close to mint as a car with these miles could be, both inside and out. it felt great to drive; like everything was a-ok. this makes sense as it is a one owner vehicle that was serviced it's entire life thus far at the dealer where it was originally purchased. so, there should be no surprises. the service dept at the dealer tld me the car was as good as it appears, last in to them in may for the recall work.

so: i would get this to drive as long term as possible - but even though i've driven hondas past 175k, i've never gone beyond that and am feeling nervous about it a bit. i'm hoping to hear some encouragment that it's not a mistake to do this. i can get it for $6200, which appears to be way below blue book. what do you think, oh knowledgeble and experienced subie folk?

thanks a million for any feedback/opinions!

might be worth it to get a compression test at that many miles. Good price if its got good compression and the tranny feels good.

^I strongly advise to do this.

I would replace the turbo and turbo oil return line immediately after purchase. I the turbo was just replace because original turbo had failed, run away.

^+1.

I'd say just remove the banjo oil filters. Besides a compression test, just have a mechanic check the turbo for play.

<-Also went from Honda to Subaru. My '05 LGT had about that much miles too(143k); changed the oil to something thicker and ended up killing the turbo and engine due to the banjo bolt oil filter. To be honest, before I picked up the LGT wagon, I was looking for a '94-95 Accord wagon. I kind of regret getting the LGT instead of waiting for a Accord to pop up, but I still love the off-road capability and, of course, more power!

If you like to work on your car and are willing to learn A LOT about this subaru I would say go for it. They definitely require a lot of attention. If you are more looking for a car that you can treat like an appliance...might want to look elsewhere.

if you like to work on your car and are willing to learn a lot about this subaru i would say go for it. They definitely require a lot of attention. If you are more looking for a car that you can treat like an appliance...might want to look elsewhere.

+1.

• 2 weeks later...
I would replace the turbo and turbo oil return line immediately after purchase. I the turbo was just replace because original turbo had failed, run away.

I'm new--just found this forum and came across this thread. What's up with the turbo return line on these cars? Do they crack and fail? What's to worry about on the turbo?

Start reading jmr... there have been oil supply issues since day one since the 05 LGT hit the streets, and others. But I still love em. It's all fixable and they are a blast to drive.

to 140kguy, dealers don't necessarily tell the truth, or know what they are selling. I'd require a compression and leakdown test done somewhere else other than the dealer. And if someone wants to get sporty, pull the DP and check the turbo for shaft play, it's not that difficult.

Archived