LegacyGT.com

Ac trouble

I have a legacy 2.2 i have charged the ac up and it works good and quiet but after a few mins of running it,it makes a click sound under the steering wheel or down near the fuse box like a relay or something clicking in and out and it starts blowing warm air then after about 5 sec it clicks again then it starts getting cold again,seems to be clicking in and out every 5 to 10sec.i did put gauges back on it and its charged right where its suposed to be and i even gave it gas and watched the gauge and still sets right where it supposed to be.any help would be great thanks in advance!!!

Take it to a shop, you're obviously not EPA certified.

If the compressor isn't running consistently, you can't get a good pressure reading. You've either over or under filled it and it's tripping a pressure safety.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Being a mechanic I have access to a AC machine but on my personal cars or side jobs I use the 12oz cans all of the time with no issues. I do have a manifold gauge set but if you know how much the system needs its pretty hard to fu@k up. I would suggest if the system was opened to take it to a shop because the system needs to be put under a vacuum.

OP: what are your high and low pressures on your manifold gauges when the compressor is kicked on? It sounds like you have too much Freon in the system and it's seeing a high pressure condition can turning off the compressor.

Hello;

What you are hearing is the A/C cutout relay. There is too much refrigerant in the system! You need to hookup gauges on the hi/lo sides. See if the drier/receiver has a sight glass. There should be some bubbles present in the window! It is normal for the compressor to cycle but not every 5 seconds. Steven.

being a mechanic i see too many do-it-yourselfers ruining an otherwise good ac system because they did it themselves with that ac-in-a-can crap. Thiers a reason even shops have to have properly trained and certified people to do ac work.

Ok guys the system has not been apart or open it low i added 1 can and it reads good to my gauge 45 psi but like I say it still cycles but it cools great I'm sure it has a small leak somewhere ,I had to put a can in it last year and then one this year.but it still cycles 7 to 10 sec apart another question could one of the relays be bad under the hood why is there 4 relays for the ac

add another can. it takes 2 when completely empty. last years leak did not get any better, only worse.

i did the same thing on my 01 last year, but i replaced the bad o-rings. when i added one can, the system worked but not well and the cheapo gauge that came with the can showed good. the 2nd can made all the difference.

add another can.

being a mechanic i see too many do-it-yourselfers ruining an otherwise good ac system because they did it themselves with that ac-in-a-can crap. Thiers a reason even shops have to have properly trained and certified people to do ac work.

Are you mocking me?

Don't trust the gauges on the DIY AC cans they can be off. Use the manifold gauges. You should see pressures of 250-300 psi on the high side and 35-45 psi on the low side when the compressor is engaged. It might be off a little depending on the air temp and humidity but shoot for those psi levels. If the lines aren't filled with enough freon the compressor will kick on and off every 5 seconds or so. You could add dye to the system and just fix the leak so you don't have to put freon in every year. Especially if the ACs evaporator is leaking inside the car. GL.

Archived