LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 2009 GT Limited what can I do to it?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the turbo world. Their are tons of parts that you can choose from. Most people start with and ecu flash to a stage 1 map. That was th first mod I did then exhaust and then it just keeps going once you get the bite of the mod bug. Enjoy your car

down pipe doesnt do much with the rumble sound, get a decent set of mufflers. (AVO, COBB, PERRIN, INVIDIA, MAGNAFLOW, BORLA...) you will be all set

first thing first, check around the car to see its condition.

then go get a tune, stage 1, 2 if you want the powaH

if you'r happy with the stockish power, get rear sway bar, and springs, suspension mod...

search around this forum, you will find bazillion of mods you can do with ur baby

google Fredbeans for parts

The downpipe improves performance but you will need a tune in order for your ECU to respond accordingly. If you want the rumble just get a catback exhaust. http://Www.fredbeansparts.com or go to your local exhaust shop and have the mufflers removed and tips welded in place. (I have this, not loud at all and very good sound and rumble).

Well a turboback exhaust (dp+cbe) will give you the sound and the power. Your mpg shouldn't change much until you get on boost...it depends how you get tuned (required), a catback exhaust doesnt really require a tune because the dp is the majority of the flow restriction. With power mods you can expect a dump in mileage through the tune...

A turboback and a tune will probably gain you atleast ~30whp depending on the tuner and how good he is....even getting a tune while stock gives you good gains....

If you search the forum you will find all your answers...

What about a header? Is that something to look into?

A header is a good upgrade, if you're gunna improve flow to the turbo, you'll need flow out of the turbo. Also: what good is that flow if it's not cool(intercooler upgrade). Dont worry about the intake, it's fine stock until you get stage 3 or above...

Talk to your tuner and see what he suggests...

just trying to educate the OP before he goes stg2+ at 19psi and grenades the tranny after 8k miles and then can't get to work because he doesn't have the cash for a new box and doesn't own another car.

if he doesn't want that sort of advice, (and I honestly wouldn't be surprised,) I'll kindly go on about my business.

There are MANY members on here running stage 1 and 2 on the 5EAT without problems, as long as you don't brake-stand and launch it and peel out all the time- it will work fine for thousands of miles. I added tranny cooler to help with added heat that comes along with more force in the driveline, to help keep the tranny fluid at a constant...if you search through the transmission forum here you'll get the idea.

Stage 1 and 2 on the LGT does not require any intake modification- as long as you have a nice clean stock filter. Subaru's engineers designed the stock air system well ...and until you upgrade your turbo you will be just fine staying with the stock intake. I personally don't like oiled aftermarket filters (perrin, k&n, etc.) because the oil can sometimes clog up your MAF sensor causing a whole host of problems....AVO makes a dry panel filter that is washable and reusable- I had one, great quality....if you're going to do something with your intake, get an AVO panel filter...leave the rest of it alone.

There are MANY members on here running stage 1 and 2 on the 5EAT without problems, as long as you don't brake-stand and launch it and peel out all the time- it will work fine for thousands of miles. I added tranny cooler to help with added heat that comes along with more force in the driveline, to help keep the tranny fluid at a constant...if you search through the transmission forum here you'll get the idea.

Stage 1 and 2 on the LGT does not require any intake modification- as long as you have a nice clean stock filter. Subaru's engineers designed the stock air system well ...and until you upgrade your turbo you will be just fine staying with the stock intake. I personally don't like oiled aftermarket filters (perrin, k&n, etc.) because the oil can sometimes clog up your MAF sensor causing a whole host of problems....AVO makes a dry panel filter that is washable and reusable- I had one, great quality....if you're going to do something with your intake, get an AVO panel filter...leave the rest of it alone.

dude, your car is still in new condition, talk about 5eat, look at mine... shit!

ya better watch your back :spin:

and NAY to oiled filter, they screwed my MAF sensor (perrin, k&n.. watever)

Ok. So get headers, turboback and a new cooler. What is the benefits of getting a new cooler?

I really appreciat you walking me through this. The others I have asked just give me sarcastic rePlys and tell me to find my answers on my own.

As you keep getting repetitively told by all senior members, and other members on this forums. DO SOME SEARCHING.. people are not being sarcastic, but they don't want to provide you with answers that you can get by searching things such as "stage 2" or "transmission problems of 5EAT" or "what to do when your are new on a car forum and have a lot of questions that are easily answerable by searching" ,ok that last one was sarcastic, but you get the picture.

habitual derail-er

A catless downpipe will not effect inspection UNLESS the inspection station visually notices that you have no cats. When you get a tune the tuner will eliminate any check engine lights due to being catless so in terms of computer scanning by obd2- you will not fail inspection- your computer will state "ready" for emissions checking. The tuner can force readiness so if an inspection station hooks their computer up to your obd2 connector, everything will checkout just like stock.

^don't listen to this guy, he is going to blow his tranny!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

JK chris!

that's ok, I'll have my one strong pull of glory as I speed by you then you can eat my tranny shards as you drive over them in my dust...

why dont you (OP), just boost the hell out of your stock car first, see if that's enough for you before thinking about spending some shit load of money to mod it?

you will be surprise:lol: (from what u were driving 02 gt)

well, saving some money for turbo replacement and 5eat rebuild is always a good idea :rolleyes:

I don't have anymoney to spend so it might be awhile before I start buying stuff

yeap, drive and enjoy the stock power first, it is plenty!

think twice before you approach any engine mods, it may give you unwanted headaches.. my o.o2

So I will leave the air intake alone and I will look into headers and a turboback. And to pass emissions I am going to want to have a cat right?

You definitely want a catted DP. Gains are minimal using a catless DP at a stg 2 level.

Also, you never know when you get pulled over and the cop wants to be an eco-hero. Fines are substantial for catless exhausts. Here in Jersey it can be a $1500 fine and get towed on the spot.

Archived