LegacyGT.com

5eat vs 5mt

so i just wanted some opions from people who had both and see which was better in their opinion. i understand with 5EAT its full boost (well kinda) till you let off, and manual not quiet. but what other pros and cons are there with the two, this is basically my last deciding point whether or not i buy this car when i go on leave in july...thanks to who replies
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

the 5eat is suppose to have a far superior awd system, but the 5mt will put down more power all mods being equal.

also the 5eat cant handle big boost without getting built internals, the MT can handle more power. imo the 6mt wins over the two. ;)

What?

i guess saying far superior was a bit over the top.

but this is what i found about the 5eat

With VTD 4- and 5-speed automatic transmission:

Full-time all wheel drive with 45/55 torque split front-to-rear under normal conditions. Electronically controlled hydraulic multi-plate clutch installed in conjunction with the center planetary-type differential. Sensors monitor parameters such as wheel slippage, throttle position and braking to help determine the amount of clutch lock. Optional viscous-type limited-slip rear differential.

The hydraulic multi-plate clutch ECU performs the following functions:

• a) adjusts the hydraulic pressure based on the produced torque and the road conditions;
  • b) adjusts the hydraulic pressure when the vehicle starts moving, based on the accelerator pedal position;
  • c) decreases the hydraulic pressure when the vehicle is turning (calculated by comparing the front and the rear's driveshafts speeds);
  • d) increases the hydraulic pressure when the front or the rear wheels start to slip;
  • e) cuts off the hydraulic pressure when ABS is activated;
  • f) decreases the hydraulic pressure when the brake pedal is pressed and when the accelerator pedal is released;
  • g) increases the hydraulic pressure when the gear shift lever at the position "1".

now the MT

All all wheel drive Impreza, Legacy, Legacy Outback, Forester, and Tribeca vehicles

With manual transmission (both 5- and 6-speed):

Full-time all wheel drive with 50/50 torque split front-to-rear under normal conditions. Viscous coupling locking differential in the center inside the transaxle case, activates when wheels start to slip. Torque apportion from 80/20 tro 20/80 (source, because the coupling can't be locked completely?)

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/subaru/

Every car I've owned (minus a short stint with an older cavalier) has been a manual, and I searched high and low when looking for a LGT Limited within my price range. I ended up going with an automatic, and lemme tell ya, I've been happier than a fat kid in a cake factory.

Now, this is my daily driver, and I'm not planning on doing any kind of xcross type stuff (I'll eventually do some power mods, but nothing crazy), so from my personal experience I can tell you I don't miss a manual tranny at all.

If you can, test drive both. Yes, you give up some of the "fun" and control of a manual, but for me the auto has been more than enough to satisfy.

but this is what i found about the 5eat

With VTD 4- and 5-speed automatic transmission:

Full-time all wheel drive with 45/55 torque split front-to-rear under normal conditions. Electronically controlled hydraulic multi-plate clutch installed in conjunction with the center planetary-type differential. Sensors monitor parameters such as wheel slippage, throttle position and braking to help determine the amount of clutch lock. Optional viscous-type limited-slip rear differential.

The hydraulic multi-plate clutch ECU performs the following functions:

• a) adjusts the hydraulic pressure based on the produced torque and the road conditions;
  • b) adjusts the hydraulic pressure when the vehicle starts moving, based on the accelerator pedal position;
  • c) decreases the hydraulic pressure when the vehicle is turning (calculated by comparing the front and the rear's driveshafts speeds);
  • d) increases the hydraulic pressure when the front or the rear wheels start to slip;
  • e) cuts off the hydraulic pressure when ABS is activated;
  • f) decreases the hydraulic pressure when the brake pedal is pressed and when the accelerator pedal is released;
  • g) increases the hydraulic pressure when the gear shift lever at the position "1".

now the MT

All all wheel drive Impreza, Legacy, Legacy Outback, Forester, and Tribeca vehicles

With manual transmission (both 5- and 6-speed):

Full-time all wheel drive with 50/50 torque split front-to-rear under normal conditions. Viscous coupling locking differential in the center inside the transaxle case, activates when wheels start to slip. Torque apportion from 80/20 tro 20/80 (source, because the coupling can't be locked completely?)

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/subaru/

I prefer a smart set of feet!:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

so i just wanted some opions from people who had both and see which was better in their opinion. i understand with 5EAT its full boost (well kinda) till you let off, and manual not quiet. but what other pros and cons are there with the two, this is basically my last deciding point whether or not i buy this car when i go on leave in july...thanks to who replies

Look around the forum for dynos of the AT amd MT cars. The 5eat sucks quite a bit more power in drivetrain losses than the 5mt. Also, 5eat's can barely handle anything over stage 2 power levels without needing modding.

It is much easier to receive HOH in an auto while driving the vehicle (although not legally recommended). You can also be more attentive to the passenger.

There's no issue with an MT if you're on the highway...

Every car I've owned (minus a short stint with an older cavalier) has been a manual, and I searched high and low when looking for a LGT Limited within my price range. I ended up going with an automatic, and lemme tell ya, I've been happier than a fat kid in a cake factory.

Now, this is my daily driver, and I'm not planning on doing any kind of xcross type stuff (I'll eventually do some power mods, but nothing crazy), so from my personal experience I can tell you I don't miss a manual tranny at all.

If you can, test drive both. Yes, you give up some of the "fun" and control of a manual, but for me the auto has been more than enough to satisfy.

I agree. Every car I've had has been a manual but trying to find anything Subaru in the used market with a turbo and 5spd was impossible so I now drive a 5eat OB XT.

Best automatic transmission I've ever used. I went from a 09 Acura TSX 6MT to my OB and can't say I miss the Acura at all.

My OB was in the shop for a week and I was driving my wife's 09 TSX 6MT, yes we had two of them, and getting back into my OB put a shit eating grin on my face that's still there.

Either way though you will love the car and it's personal preference and driving style that should dictate your transmission choice.

I like the 5eat because you can put it in 'D', sport, or manual mode. I drive in sport 95% of the time but put it in manual mode for those times that I feel the need....

If I recall from the dyno threads, the 5EAT delivers more torque but less HP.

I was just driving my 09 5EAT in the mountains, and the rev-match downshift (07+?) is really nice. The car can drop 5-4-3 and there's no lurch at all. My wife didn't even realize I was in manual mode.

What are you planning on doing to your car, anything?

If you want to make it faster, overall it will be cheaper to mod the 5MT

If you want power when you need it but not an aggressive driver a 5eat will be ok

If you dont care about power and just a daily driver, Ive heard overall the 5MT gets better gas millage then the 5eats. If you care about gas millage.

To me the little things that make the 5eat better, does not out weight the higher cost to prevent failures in power modding.

I love my 5eat but going like say a Stage 2, the transmission/VB is whats holding me back, and the extended warranty:lol: For me I do need a VB upgrade if I want to go stage 2. My 5eat has enough power for city driving

*Beware the modding bug bites most of us

Guys one reason why the 5eats put less power down because there is a lot more rotating mass in the trans than a MT

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

well from the sound of it everyone likes both pretty equally, ill probably stick with the 5mt since it is easier for modding, as soon as i get home (well to NY) from afgahnistan i plan on going stage two with some additional suspension work basically right away. im not really one for watching gas mileage or caring the amount i get per mile, and i know ill be an aggresive/daily driver haha...so 5mt it is, thanks for the advice and comments...and ruskibear about the HOH ill just pray i dont crash haha
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

never seen a thread like this before :rolleyes:

what mfr fmic do you have? im trying to decide if i should go with it or just top mount? do you have stock turbo running still?

the 5eat is suppose to have a far superior awd system, but the 5mt will put down more power all mods being equal.

also the 5eat cant handle big boost without getting built internals, the MT can handle more power. imo the 6mt wins over the two. ;)

Sure it's more sophisticated as it has to be. I still wouldn't call it superior. I actually purchased an 07 LGT 5EAT and owned it for 10 whole days before trading it in on the Spec B which I'm still driving. :)

I felt the 5EAT was never in the right gear and the shift delay was bothering me. It was a good highway driver, but driving around town I felt like I might as well have been driving a Camry/Accord or other regular sedan.

The 5EAT imo even with power modification is still family sedan feeling where the 5mt/6mt variants are more sports sedan.

• Mega Users
When referring only to the center diff, it is better on the 5eat than 5mt. But as much as I like the 5eat, it is still an auto. It will have more power in low RPM due to the torque converter and it is FAR superior in traffic. Other than that, I miss having a manual.

Archived