LegacyGT.com

Car won't start with spare key

Well I couldn't find the key i normally use this morning so i grabbed my spare off the hook in the kitchen. I got in the car, pushed in the clutch, turned the key annnnnnnnnnnd nothing. it didn't even turn over! So i fiddled with keyless entry by pressing the unlock button and tried to start the car. It started to turn over for like half a second then nothing......

So I went back in the hosue searched around and found my regular key and was able to start my car with that. Just to be sure i turned the car off and tried it witth the spare key again......nothing. Stuck the regular key in and started right up.:spin:

i just had the ECM replaced due to the fan relay issue. I asked the service writer if i would need to get my keys reflashed since i read on here that it would have to be done. I was told that it didn't need to be done since they were just replacing the ECM not the ECU. The key that starts the car was the one the dealer had when it went in for service. I'm also at stage 2 and the key that start the car was used when flashing my ECU. would that affect it? So either

1) they did reflash my key

2) the chip inside the spare key is messed up

3) The Access port changed something

4) god hates me

thoughts?

I had the same issue w/ my spare key when I bought my car in 2004. It fits in the ignition, but it won't turn the lock cylinder. The Subaru dealership ordered a new key and it had the same problem. Then they had a locksmith do some fine tuning to the key and got it to work.

Your service writer should offer to reprogram all of your keys for free because he failed to read the recall bulletin. All the keys need to be reprogrammed when the ecu is replaced. If they only had to replace the fan relay, then no the keys do not need to be reprogrammed. That bulletin explains it very clearly. He either didn't read it, or has no clue to what he is doing and should fix his mistake that he caused you. He should have known better even when the question was asked to him. Make them pay for your inconvenience.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived