LegacyGT.com

Sirius S50 mounting

Obsidian_black

I just got purchased a Sirius S50 with car dock. I previously installed jazzymt's aux-in mod for it as well. Has anyone here bought the S50 and attempted to mount it on the side of the center console so its parallel to the stereo? I attemped to do so, but it seems that the crappy adhesive on the mounting suction cup won't adhere to the plastic in my legacy center console. I'm looking for suggestions on what I could do. I don't really want to screw it in and damage the console, or use anything crazy like guerilla glue. Any suggestions would be helpful!

yeah, this:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/reviews/2005/1220/h607S50-o_mt.jpg

is the s50 with the car mount, i want to mount it so that its standing vertically adjacent to the stock stereo in my legacy. On the bottom of the mount, it has a suction cup with some special adhesive that supposedly can adhere to any surface... but this is apparently untrue

fabricating skills are nonexistant, haha. I was thinking of something potentially cleaner, like using a known adhesive that wouldn't damage the plastic, but would be magically strong enough to hold the mount to the plastic... if all else fails i'll use fatbastard's suggestion and purchase that mount

I got a flex kit from amazon (I'll find you a link in a min), you bolt it to the passenger seat rail bolt, and it stretches up from there. Not the prettiest thing, but it'll do. I've since routed the wires better too.

P1010008.thumb.jpg.8c60a88481b17b3263f802f7c80b4429.jpg

I got [ame=http://www.amazon.com/SR-88-15-inch-Flexible-Gooseneck-Satellite/dp/B00024L6S4/sr=8-1/qid=1168398556/ref=sr_1_1/103-5807415-0952626?ie=UTF8&s=electronics]this mount[/ame] from amazon. Easy to install, and totally reversible (no sticky shit anywhere).

I beleive the mounting head on the one zmarko has is the same type as what I got. If so you may want to spend the extra dollar or so to get the swivel mount. I find it is very helpful if the passenger wants to cheange teh station or read the display.

awesome, much thanks zmarko, i just ordered it, thats exactly what i wanted to do with it!

Cool. One thing I forgot to mention last night (beer makes me do that occasionally :lol: ), is you need to do some trimming on the plate that the S50 screws to. It only takes 10-15 mins if you have a dremel though. You need to trim off the bottom portion so you can plug the antenna and power in. You will also need to either A) get slightly longer screws to attatch the plate to the S50, or B) use your dremel to 'deepen' the holes on the plate where you screw it to the S50. If that doesn't make sense, let me know, and I'll try and make it more clear (or I'll go unhook it and take pictures of what I did).

Sorry I didn't mention this last night. Totally forgot as it really wasn't too difficult (but I have a Dremel). You'll see what I mean when you hold the plate up to the back of the S50.

sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult, zmarko, i'll post questions if i have any when i get the mount in. I just realized its pretty much the same mount that you recommended fatbastard, thanks for the headsup, i just wanted to see it mounted with my s50 to make sure it would fit

sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult, zmarko, i'll post questions if i have any when i get the mount in. I just realized its pretty much the same mount that you recommended fatbastard, thanks for the headsup, i just wanted to see it mounted with my s50 to make sure it would fit

Cool. Please post up or PM me if you do need some help when you get it.

Side note: where have you been keeping your S50 in the mean time? I kept mine in the cupholder in the center console. Took out the cup splitter, and just laid it in there. It was actually a really good place to keep it (I leave it on 100 most of the time anyway), and was almost 100% invisible (only the antenna and power wires were coming out the small opening). But I really wanted my cupholders back. :lol:

yeah, my antenna wire doesn't reach that far, as I mounted the antenna on the top of the car above the rear windshield... so its sitting on the passenger's side floor (i'm not allowing anyone in my car beside me until i get it mounted) and try not to drive like an asshole so its not getting thrown around!

Gotcha. I mounted my antenna right at the base of the passenger side A-pillar on the dash where it meets the windshield (next to the temp sensor). Fits great, no one notices it, and I don't get much drop out at all (except the normal dropout).

Ob,

I used the stock S50 mount and used a heat gun to WARM the plastic and the "sticky pad" that sirius supplies. If the stock mount isn't all dirty yet (on the glue side) it will work. It has stayed stuck for me.

PS - remember to clean the plastic with alcohol or some solution.

Matt

Archived